Starting 2x10 - How much Break Between Sets

projectaero

Hey guys.
I just finished my first 2 week cycle of 1x15.

Now i am starting 2x10 with the following weights:

All in Kg
Squats - 7.5
Deadlift - 22.5
Bent Over Barbell Row - 7.5
Bench Press - 2.5
Military Press - 7.5
Barbell Curls - 7.5
Close Grip Bench - 17.5

Now i need to know how much rest do i have in between sets ? 15 seconds ? 30 seconds ? 1 minute ?
Cheers

Whatever you need (within reason) to get your strength back.

Over time your body will adapt to whatever rest scheme you allow.

At the beginning of 10s you will find you can get away with less rest so might as well go for it. As the loads approach RMs take a bit longer as necessary to get the job done.

I'm happy if I can rest for 2 mins between my heaviest 10RM sets.

No offense meant here but.....

You can't be serious about the weights?

My 8 year old lifts 20 Kg for squats and could take more!

You should seriously start looking at accomplishing lifting your body weight for squats/bench press.

How much do the bars weigh?

Everyone has to start somewhere.
I can squat 50kg but going by the 15-10-5-2 Rule of HST this is where i am up to.
Well after this cycle my diet will be down pact so i expect to see an improvement from 50kg max bench to around 80-90kg hopefully.

So what rest time do u suggest ?

Don't worry Pro your strength will soar soon enough. If I were you I would do fewer increments each mesocycle, perhaps just 3? No sense in going too light and at this stage you just need to shift some iron regularly until your strength is up a bit. As Fausto says don't forget to include the weight of the bar. That alone usually weighs 20kg for an Oly' bar.

One way to do it is to monitor your heart rate. Once you feel it has gone back to the rate of where it was after a mild warm up, you can go again. Don't let it go back to the full "cold" resting rate though. As the lifts get heavier, it will take longer to go back to the warm up rate, so it will change as needed allowing for more rest.
And as far as strength goes, it will surely come as you progress through the cycle.

Good luck!
O

<div>
(projectaero @ Sep. 18 2006,15:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Everyone has to start somewhere.
I can squat 50kg but going by the 15-10-5-2 Rule of HST this is where i am up to.
Well after this cycle my diet will be down pact so i expect to see an improvement from 50kg max bench to around 80-90kg hopefully.

So what rest time do u suggest ?</div>
are you counting the weight of the bar or just the plates.
it doesnt really matter,its unusual to have your squats and military-press that same weight
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Yes, I think he forget the olympic bar weighs 20 kg...dead give-away is he listed the close-grip bench press at 17.5 kg and the regular bench press at 2.5 kg- add the bar and he is actually lifting 22.5 kg for regular bench press, probably not using an olympic bar for close-grip press, thus he can put more plates on it....I don't know anyone who can close-grip bench more than they can wide-grip bench!
tounge.gif

In the 10s, I didn't wait too long in the first week, but waited up to 2 minutes in the second week.

Squats and DL are an exception. I wait as long as I need to after those, sometimes up to 5 minutes.

Ok Aero...

I guess I was doubtful...in the meantime if you say you can squats 50 Kg, for how many reps?

I think you have to do some tweaking here...like repeating the weight for a few w/o's for example.

Rest...most of us don't really monitor that so much...the guides say minimum 30 seconds....maximum 3 minutes, you be the judge dude!

That obviously has to go with how tired you feel after a set! I'd say for 10's not much more than a minute...but it is your call...you must have rested enough to allow you the second set to completion or close.

hey guys.
i feel i am getting stronger already seeing n00b gains.
My next cycle i wanto go a bit harder then this so should i go 10-8-5-2 or 12-10-5-2 ??

Depends if you notice much difference between your 12RM, 10RM, 8RM, 5RM etc. You zigzag anyway so you'll be lifting the same weights for the majority of your
workouts. If anything you want to spend more time in the 5s and post 5s, not less time, or in other words you want to spend more time steadily increasing your weights, in absolute terms.

Don't worry about seeming noob I asked the same question when I started...

<div>
(projectaero @ Sep. 20 2006,09:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">hey guys.
i feel i am getting stronger already seeing n00b gains.
My next cycle i wanto go a bit harder then this so should i go 10-8-5-2 or 12-10-5-2 ??</div>
Why change something that ain't broke? There are guys here who have been using 15-10-5 for a long while and are still making gains.

Your strength will go up pretty quickly initially so just stick to the plan. As Peak pointed out, stretch out the 5s if you can. If you can increment the loads once a week for an extra three or four weeks you will have added a fair bit to your 5RMs for the next cycle. At this point it would be worth finding your new 10 and 15RMs too as I expect they will have altered quite a bit. Then SD.

I made some really good strength gains (for me) the first few cycles even though I didn't stretch out the 5s much due to joints needing a break.

Take what you need. Anywhere from less than a minute to up to 3 minutes. I take a minute after curls, up to 3 minutes after squats. On heavy days I may even go longer and have taken up to 5 minutes after deadlifts.

I fatigue easily and often lift heavier than my body is cabable of handling though so you may not need as much time.

<div>
(projectaero @ Sep. 18 2006,09:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Pro,

What's your age ?
How much do you weigh ?
Do you have any injuries ?

Thanks

I do like Omega said, let the heart slow down until it's almost to resting rate...about 1-1/2 minutes on light weights, 2 minutes on the heavy stuff. But I'm 53 with a pacemaker and a long bad heart history. Considering your &quot;history&quot;, that makes us about even.
rock.gif

Back