Starting 5's tommorow

Hazard445

I have read articles about how in the 5's, i should toss in some "specialization" and stretch point workouts on lagging muscles. I was wondering how would this work? Would I after doing a set of incline bench press, go do really wide ROM flies to hit my chest hard? or some front lateral raises to fix my laggin delts?

My second question, is now that im entering the realm of the heavy weights...5's. I was looking to fix my mistakes made in my 10's, such as trying to maintain a volume, that prevented me from prog. loading my workouts. Such as my delts, they got hit hard and couldn't even keep loading. So I was thinking of lowering it back down to 3 sets of 5's, rather than making it a 5 set of 5 (25 rep volume) thing. Now that I realized that I don't need that high of a volume because I am working out thrice a week. Would this be ideal? any recommendations would be appreciated!

Just do your normal routine, but with 5s. I never do any special crap or anything. Go by feel with volume. If 5 sets is killing you, then drop to 4 or 3...but don't be a wuss, do as many sets as you can handle.

Although I agree with Sci, I do specially fro my chest extra sets of wide ROM (I use pulse reps and stat load maybe for one set).

That is just me though, sticking to heavy lifting is the name of the game.

Volume I'd "play by ear" drop only if it is getting too much, but keep it as high as possible but low enough to be able to keep the desired load. Going for a higher volume will invariably force you to drop your load which could be 10 or 20%, that translates to the loss you could be creating.
biggrin.gif

Spreading volume over a week is a good way to go, the so called "Even-Steven" effect.
biggrin.gif

Wouldn't you wipe out your CNS with all those sets 3 times a week? I thought the idea was to use 2 sets at the most per exercise? Below is from the HST methods

Low volume per exercise (average volume per week)
HST suggests that you limit the number of sets per exercise per workout to 1 or 2. This is based on "some" evidence that sets beyond the first "effective" set do little more than burn calories. There is nothing wrong with burning calories, but when you get to be my age you just don't have the exercise tolerance that you once did. Using hormone replacement (HRT) therapy would of course, increase the number of sets you could do without undue stress.

Some may question the validity of HST not utilizing more than 1 or 2 sets per exercise. The number of sets is set low to accommodate the frequency necessary to create an effective and consistent environment to stimulate hypertrophy. Over the course of a week, the volume isn't that different from standard splits (e.g. chest should tri, back bi, legs).

<div>
(Biception @ May 07 2007,11:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wouldn't you wipe out your CNS with all those sets 3 times a week? I thought the idea was to use 2 sets at the most per exercise? Below is from the HST methods

Low volume per exercise (average volume per week)
HST suggests that you limit the number of sets per exercise per workout to 1 or 2. This is based on &quot;some&quot; evidence that sets beyond the first &quot;effective&quot; set do little more than burn calories. There is nothing wrong with burning calories, but when you get to be my age you just don't have the exercise tolerance that you once did. Using hormone replacement (HRT) therapy would of course, increase the number of sets you could do without undue stress.

Some may question the validity of HST not utilizing more than 1 or 2 sets per exercise. The number of sets is set low to accommodate the frequency necessary to create an effective and consistent environment to stimulate hypertrophy. Over the course of a week, the volume isn't that different from standard splits (e.g. chest should tri, back bi, legs).</div>
Read: How many sets and how to determine it

Yes, 1 or 2 sets is suggested as a starting point, but read the faq and you'll see that Bryan elaborates more on this point. Depending on how many exercises you are doing and your conditioning level, more sets may be necessary.

Back