Starting after 2 months layoff

Nightfly

Hello,
I have been lifting for a more years than my lack of progess indicates. I decided to give up lifting until I finish a major home project. So, I am flat, would be in pain from a hard set of squats, dips . . . Do I go right into the HST? DO I need time to get my strength back to get accurate % numbers? How important is the % anyways? Thanks guys.

Don't take some time to get back into lifting. You are probably quite deconditioned right now - take advantage of that. I would use some old RMs from a little while before you quit lifting and get right into HST. Since you've been off for a long time, you could see some really great gains, assuming you eat enough. Keep your diet in line - eat big or your cycle won't be very productive at all.

If your RMs aren't that accurate, you can just adjust along the way. For instance, if you find that you don't come close to hitting your 15 RM, then adjust your 10 and 5 RMs to compensate for that before you even go past the 15s. It's okay to change your increments and your weights a bit mid-cycle if you need to.

Thanks,
I think I may be able to make some great gains like I did in my first year of lifting. WHat I did (I was 19-20) was lift 6 days a week. Not sure if I can get away with that now, but I did see something here about a 6 day a week routine.

I would do the standard three days a week setup for your first cycle, then for your second cycle, depending on how the first one went, you should give higher frequency a try.

Back