Starting HST cycle this Monday, need some guidance...

maximusAF

I'm planning on starting my first HST cycle on Monday. I'm currently doing SD right now and can't wait to get back to the gym. Before my SD, I tested all of the appropriate maxes for several exercises that I may use. A little background.....I've been lifting for about a year and a half. I started with nothing and have grown some, but still have a long way to go IMO. I'm just coming off of a 5x5 routine to help out with my strength. My main goal here is gaining mass. My main areas that need attention are my chest and shoulders. Here is the list of exercises that I'll be choosing from:SquatsIncline BB PressChinsTricep pushdownShrugsShoulder pressDipsBicep curlsBent over BB rowsLateral raisesPec Dec or DB fliesCalf raisesStiff leg deadliftWhich of these exercises should I go with and in what order? I'd love to do all of them, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time to complete them all as I workout during my lunch.Thoughts?Also, for the HST Calculator, do you typically put in .05 for the Inc?

Last edited:
I'm planning on starting my first HST cycle on Monday. I'm currently doing SD right now and can't wait to get back to the gym. Before my SD, I tested all of the appropriate maxes for several exercises that I may use. A little background.....I've been lifting for about a year and a half. I started with nothing and have grown some, but still have a long way to go IMO. I'm just coming off of a 5x5 routine to help out with my strength. My main goal here is gaining mass. My main areas that need attention are my chest and shoulders.
Here is the list of exercises that I'll be choosing from:

Squats
Incline BB Press
Chins
Tricep pushdown
Shrugs
Shoulder press
Dips
Bicep curls
Bent over BB rows
Lateral raises
Pec Dec or DB flies
Calf raises
Stiff leg deadlift

Which of these exercises should I go with and in what order?
I'd love to do all of them, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time to complete them all as I workout during my lunch.Thoughts?

Also, for the HST Calculator, do you typically put in .05 for the Inc?

As above simplify and win thread is a good read.

You can use 10 or so exercises in each workout if you like doing so.

Regarding the number of sets for the 15s...........do most people do 1 set or 2 sets?I was thinking I'd like to start out with 2 and see what happens, then change with the following in mind:Increase volume if:You are never soreYou are never tiredYou are not growingMaintain volume if:You are slightly sore most of the timeYou are tired enough to sleep well, but not so tired you lose motivation to train.You are noticeably “fuller”Decrease volume if:You are experiencing over use pain, and strain symptoms in joints and/or muscles.You are tired and irritable all the time, yet don’t sleep well.Strength levels are significantly decreasing.

2 sets of 15 the first week is fine, but as the weights go up in the second week, you may have to cut back to 1.

Back