Starting weights

longphant

Let's say I want to use standing raises with dumbbells for my shoulder exercise. Let's say my 15 rep max for standing raises is by holding 15 lb dumbbells. Does that mean my 6 weeks will look like 2.557.51012.515So my first day of doing HST will involve me doing 2.5 lb dumbbells?

You could try using a weight that light, however you can repeat weights so you could start at 10lbs and increase every second workout, so 10lbs, 12.5lbs, 15lbs or something like that depending on what increments you can go up in.

I myself have found it easier to do workouts that i can handle heavier weights (ie compound workouts which HST relies on) to avoid this problem. But you could also do 2 days of 5 lbs, 2 days of 10 lbs and then 2 days of 15lbs. The real problem you are going to run into though is zig-zagging bad. Since you are supposed to ever increase your weight, if your 15rm is 15 then i would imagine your 10rm could not be much more than 20-25lbs. This means on your first 2 weeks (15's) the weight will go from 5-15lbs, and your next 2 weeks (10's) would go from 10-20 lbs. Meaning the first 4 workouts (2 @ 10 lbs and 2 @ 15 lbs) would be overlapping your previous 2 week mini cycle, make sense? This is why it is easier to do workouts where you can handle higher weight.

What do you use for your rear delt exercise then? That's really the only exercise that my 15 rep max is only 10 lb dumbbells (sitting bent over side raises). I can do plenty with shoulder press, and other compounds.

I myself use bent over underhand rows with a barbell and those seem to do well for me. I mean it technically works my whole back all the way across if you get the correct form down. But I myself would look into an exercise like this because you dont have to worry about zig-zagging as badly as you would others.

Back