Strategic Deconditioning

BigSoup

Hi all,

Quick question. I spent this week determining my maxes for HST. I am starting my cycle 5/15 after my SD.

Question is should I take any supplements while on the SD?

I currently supplement with:

NO-Xplode pre-workout (obviously won't take this)
Controlled Labs White Blood
BSN Cell Mass
Protein Supplementation

I figured I would continue to supplement my diet with protein but would discontinue the other supps next week.

Thoughts? Advice?

I would supplement some protein for the first couple of days of SD. Other than that just make sure you eat enough calories, you could definetely cut down your supplmentation while your not training.

Try and take;

1 protein
2 creatine
3 fish oil
4 a multivitamin/mineral

<div>
(style @ May 05 2006,23:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would supplement some protein for the first couple of days of SD. Other than that just make sure you eat enough calories, you could definetely cut down your supplmentation while your not training.

Try and take;

1 protein
2 creatine
3 fish oil
4 a multivitamin/mineral</div>
agree with style..and that is all i would take even when working out..besides good food
biggrin.gif

Drop the NO-Xplode, that stuff is worthless. It may give you a pump, but it does absolutely nothing for muscle growth. It's not particularly good for you either. Drop that Controlled Labs White Blood stuff too, since that's just another NO type product, which like I said is total crap and completely worthless. Cell Mass is creatine, right? You can keep taking that. I would drop it and get creatine monohydrate powder which is much, much cheaper and works exactly the same.
You can use the protein if you need to bump up your protein intake or try to get all your protein from food - it doesn't really matter that much though. Some people will tell you that you must get your protein from whole food sources or you will die. Granted, protein powders can cause some intestinal problems (gas, etc) but in the end, it is all the same. I would keep protein intake high during SD, so if you need the powder to help with that, then keep taking it.

You should start taking fish oil, as the other guys suggested. It has actual tangible benefits, unlike the NO products, and it is reasonably priced, unlike the NO products. So, save your money from the NO stuff and use it to buy more protein.

Tot - I read that 2-5g of omega3 a day can have positive effects on training; tho up to 5g and you shouldnt take it right before training as it has an anti-inflammitry effect.

I got the info off some link from ironmanmagazine.com. I ask because I can get loads of the stuff in tab form. Other than taking the recommended amount, would 2g+ really have additional benefits?

It's not the omega3s so much as it is the DHA and EPA in fish oil that is beneficial. You don't need a whole lot. About six of the most common fish oil softgels is plenty. I think that equals out to about a gram or two of DHA and EPA.
I haven't looked into higher amounts a whole lot, but I know there are some side effects such as possibly your blood clotting a little slower with higher amounts, but mostly it seems to do good things.

Back