Strategic deconditioning

Probably somewhere in between...

There are plenty of naysayers who insist that 9 - 14 days isn't enough to make a difference. However, my experience has been that the bar always seems a whole lot heavier after being away for a week or so. It's subjective and anecdotal, but it works for me.

my experience has been that the bar always seems a whole lot heavier after being away for a week or so. It's subjective and anecdotal, but it works for me.
Ditto. Right after sufficient period of SD I manage to get massive DOMS with as little as 25-30% of my 5RM weights in squats & SLDL doing 2 sets of 15's with a 30-40 second rest.

If you do SD, try to eat at maintenance to ward off any muscle loss.
Dont attempt to cut at this time. Cutting needs to be done with some form of lifting to tell those muscles to hang around.

If you do SD, try to eat at maintenance to ward off any muscle loss.
Dont attempt to cut at this time. Cutting needs to be done with some form of lifting to tell those muscles to hang around.
This is a fine point, trump. Personally I haven't done any cutting yet, but I've been aware of this guideline from the HST FAQ.

The main reason for an SD is to get beyond a plateau. Research shows a spike in satellite cells after 9 days off, which is why I stick to a 9 day SD. Basically, with a larger pool of satellite cells, you will have more potential for growth/progress.

The main reason for an SD is to get beyond a plateau. Research shows a spike in satellite cells after 9 days off, which is why I stick to a 9 day SD. Basically, with a larger pool of satellite cells, you will have more potential for growth/progress.
Yeah, that's great, I've never doubted in the reasoning behind SD, the question is why some other methodists like Lyle have deemed them unnecessary or even useless.

Back