strength gains with hst

pompo

I think I'm starting to get obsessed about frequency and volume
blush.gif
, feel free to skip this if you think it's been covered extensively.

A little primer: The reason I like HST so much is because I don't have to worry about loads every time I go to the gym, usually I have them mapped out for the next 4 months or so. But the funny thing is that I'm not really that into hypertrophy, I just like to have one hour of exercise daily where I don't have to think and can focus solely on mechanical movements.

Since I'm not into varying loads based on my current strength, SST is not for me, but I'd still like to know how HST fares when it comes to increasing strength. I'm guessing the fact I'm working sub-maximal most of the time means a slower progression, but how much slower? Does frequency impact this when working with sub-maximal load? Will benching 4 times weekly at 75% of my 1RM give me a likelier increase in strenght than the same twice per week?

thanks for your patience,
pompo

When I started HST almost two years, i had been stuck on bench pressing max 210 forever (three years or more). When I started, I had been lifting 3x a week HST, and 3x a week isolation using HST principles (later added maxstim). My current bench press is now 275! Every cycle that I did, rose my bench press about 5 pounds like it is supposed to, every single time. This is for everybody part, not just chest, but that was the best example.

The only cycle I had no gains, was this one i just did because I have been out of the country for 6 months and did not have access to good gym facilities so it was all running and pushups etc. And even still, I have been able to get my bench to 260-265 after not lifting for 6 months at the end of the cycle (ends next wedsnesday actually).

As for size, im a hard gainer that has tried it all, and with HST I have seen major changes in my physique. So to answer your question, HST may not be aimed for super strength gains like a 5x5 workout or other plans, but it will be a steady increase. If you want to really maximize growth, throw in maxstim principles. And 75 pounds in two years, will really add up in 10
tounge.gif

Cheers

<div>
(pompo @ Aug. 18 2007,04:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Since I'm not into varying loads based on my current strength, SST is not for me, but I'd still like to know how HST fares when it comes to increasing strength. I'm guessing the fact I'm working sub-maximal most of the time means a slower progression, but how much slower? Does frequency impact this when working with sub-maximal load? Will benching 4 times weekly at 75% of my 1RM give me a likelier increase in strenght than the same twice per week?

thanks for your patience,
pompo</div>
As pointed out above , strength gains while not necessarily optimal -  do steadily occur in the course of conventional HST cycles. These will continue rather predictably for quite some time (years) , slowly tapering as the lifter reaches his natural genetic potential (something I imagine very few of us are in imminent danger of).

You asked if benching more frequently with 75% RM would improve strength gains over the same done twice per week - interesting question , as HST would more typically have you lifting 75%, 80%, 85% over that same week and be superior to both examples  given (unless I'm mis-understanding your scenarios in some way).

Strength oriented training is ( although concentrated  higher in %age of 1RM) also sub-max for the most part - the exception to this would be HIT , which technically speaking defines itself as a hypertrophy oriented system.

When focusing on purely strength goals - the starting %ages typically begin @ 80-85%1RM as opposed to 70-75%1RM (HST), increments tend to be smaller , frequency is typically 1-2x/wk as opposed to 3-6(HST)per muscle group, reps tend to be 8 or less with a heavy concentration at the 3-5 range , sets are typically higher and total volume lower , emphasis on bodyparts is re-directed to emphasis on movements- IN GENERAL.

One could easily design a SST program using HST principals that would meet all the requirements of an HST cycle using the parameters I've touched on above . Many seem to prefer using the occassional &quot;pre-fabricated&quot; strength program between HST cycles - and of these the 5x5 seems most popular . IMHO a well designed 10x3 is superior for pure strength/power , I think the  popularity of the 5x5 is largely because most who claim they wish for strength/power REALLY want a strength/hypertrophy program with emphasis on the strength. Regardless , 5x5 is a fine program , 10x3 delivers as well ...

I have an interest myself in ultimately seeing a SST program designed that would be an &quot;official&quot; HST strength program but lack the presumptiousness necessary to do it myself when I know members like Aaron F. , Steve Jones, ect. may very well be more qualified.

Hope this helps- Good Luck!
smile.gif

people may disagree but i dont think hst is optimal for strength gains as it is aimed at hypertrophy.

however this does not mean that strength gains will not be made, because strength and size do to some extent go together ,as i can say with certainty that my strength increased after starting hst. it depends on your goals, if i wanted strength id hit low reps and heavy weight, keep the exercises simple ie: compounds, job done.

Looking at the purpose of HST, we see more clearly.

Strength is neuromuscular in nature. This means that the size of the muscle is only part of the strength. The other part comes from the central nervous system. Since HST is intended to increase the size of the muscle, it is reasonable to expect strength to increase following increases in size. What is not reasonable is to expect strength to increase disproportionately because HST does not use disproportionate loads. The specificity principle applies here.

If you want more strength, train for that purpose specifically. But having more muscle mass to begin with will only help in developing more strength later on.

Strength is a good side effect of HST,max-stim or SST after the 5's is what'll get you there though!
wink.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Aug. 18 2007,04:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
You asked if benching more frequently with 75% RM would improve strength gains over the same done twice per week - interesting question , as HST would more typically have you lifting 75%, 80%, 85% over that same week and be superior to both examples given (unless I'm mis-understanding your scenarios in some way).
</div>
Yes yes, I'm particulary interested in a scenario where the load stays the same, but frequency is higher. Whether that is an improvement strength-wise over lower frequency w the same (sub-maximal) load.
<div>
(RUSS @ Aug. 18 2007,04:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
When focusing on purely strength goals - the starting %ages typically begin @ 80-85%1RM as opposed to 70-75%1RM (HST), increments tend to be smaller , frequency is typically 1-2x/wk as opposed to 3-6(HST)per muscle group, reps tend to be 8 or less with a heavy concentration at the 3-5 range , sets are typically higher and total volume lower , emphasis on bodyparts is re-directed to emphasis on movements- IN GENERAL.

One could easily design a SST program using HST principals that would meet all the requirements of an HST cycle using the parameters I've touched on above . Many seem to prefer using the occassional &quot;pre-fabricated&quot; strength program between HST cycles - and of these the 5x5 seems most popular . IMHO a well designed 10x3 is superior for pure strength/power , I think the popularity of the 5x5 is largely because most who claim they wish for strength/power REALLY want a strength/hypertrophy program with emphasis on the strength. Regardless , 5x5 is a fine program , 10x3 delivers as well ...

I have an interest myself in ultimately seeing a SST program designed that would be an &quot;official&quot; HST strength program but lack the presumptiousness necessary to do it myself when I know members like Aaron F. , Steve Jones, ect. may very well be more qualified.
</div>
This is good stuff. I think I was too focused on 5x5-type routines too see the possibility of SST with HST-principles. The way you explained it makes me itching to give it a try after the next cycle. I guess I'll give the good ole &quot;trial and error&quot; another go.

thanks everyone,
p

Back