Stubborn muscle group

Xerobeat

Hey guys, I'm changing to HST and I'm wondering how I can incorporate specialization workout for my stubborn muscle groups which are smaller than their counterparts like my right chest, right bicep, left tricep and my left back with the HST program? Do I use the usual technique which is add one additional set or rep within set for my stubborn muscle groups or HST has its own way for that?

Also, Do I have to eat 7 times a day on my rest days as well? or 6 is already good enough for my rest days? while I do 7 on my workout days. I'm 160pounds/73kg and my height is 6 feet 1 Inch, suppose to be taking in 2500 calories a day.

Another question, do I have to go to failure anywhere in th e HST program? kinda confused here. Cuz I heard from another website a guy said that HST doesnt require us to go failure.

To be honest, at your size, you probably don't need to worry about it yet. Just focus on putting on mass and I think you'll find a lot of your imbalances will become less significant.

Also, it won't matter how many times you eat per day. Just eat however many or few meals are necessary to get in sufficient calories. You'll want to get more than 2500 a day, that is probably enough to maintain if you have a fairly average metabolism, but it definitely isn't enough to grow. I would eat at least 2800 calories a day. Less than that and you are definitely selling yourself short on your potential for gains.

What does your routine look like? I think you could do with a "Simplify and Win" type of routine for now while you concentrate on building a base to work from. If you can get your core lifts up to higher poundages while packing away the food (with plenty of protein, of course) then I am sure most of your concerns about stubborn/imbalanced muscles will go away.

Failure - no, it is not necessary. Failure does not cause growth, it does help train the CNS but that's not something you really need to worry about right now.

If you want to post your routine, I'm sure that most of us can help you out. Also, you could start a log and post each workout so we can see how your results go. I'd be interested in seeing daily totals on calories and protein in your log too so we can see how the diet is going.

Just so you know, here is how muscle building works:

1. If you are not gaining weight, you are not eating enough. Your body cannot build muscle (except under special circumstances, but don't count on those) unless you are gaining weight. You want to be gaining about a pound or two every week.

2. Once you are eating enough to gain a pound or two a week consistently (remember, as you get heavier, your body will require more calories in order to continue to gain) then you can worry about your routine. If most of the weight you are putting on is fat, then you may not have sufficient volume in your routine.

What he said.

If you haven't read the FAQs do have a browse. All the 'Do I need to train to failure?' type questions are answered therein. There is a downloadable pdf of the FAQs that you can print out if you hate reading on a screen.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 13 2008,12:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To be honest, at your size, you probably don't need to worry about it yet. Just focus on putting on mass and I think you'll find a lot of your imbalances will become less significant.

Also, it won't matter how many times you eat per day. Just eat however many or few meals are necessary to get in sufficient calories. You'll want to get more than 2500 a day, that is probably enough to maintain if you have a fairly average metabolism, but it definitely isn't enough to grow. I would eat at least 2800 calories a day. Less than that and you are definitely selling yourself short on your potential for gains.

What does your routine look like? I think you could do with a &quot;Simplify and Win&quot; type of routine for now while you concentrate on building a base to work from. If you can get your core lifts up to higher poundages while packing away the food (with plenty of protein, of course) then I am sure most of your concerns about stubborn/imbalanced muscles will go away.

Failure - no, it is not necessary. Failure does not cause growth, it does help train the CNS but that's not something you really need to worry about right now.

If you want to post your routine, I'm sure that most of us can help you out. Also, you could start a log and post each workout so we can see how your results go. I'd be interested in seeing daily totals on calories and protein in your log too so we can see how the diet is going.

Just so you know, here is how muscle building works:

1. If you are not gaining weight, you are not eating enough. Your body cannot build muscle (except under special circumstances, but don't count on those) unless you are gaining weight. You want to be gaining about a pound or two every week.

2. Once you are eating enough to gain a pound or two a week consistently (remember, as you get heavier, your body will require more calories in order to continue to gain) then you can worry about your routine. If most of the weight you are putting on is fat, then you may not have sufficient volume in your routine.</div>

Thanks for the reply. I used to use the Optimum Anabolics program by Jeff Anderson since 20 weeks ago (5 months). His program is almost the same as HST because he has progressive overload and strategic conditioning of a different style, just that he splits it into 5 days with different muscle groups each day. When I started out I was 125.4 pounds (57kg) and now I managed to gain to up to 160.6 pounds (73kg) in 5 months. With his program I gained about 4.4 pounds (2kg) every 3 weeks. But here are the problems that I'm facing.

1. The body fat percentage on my stomach is about 16% (I used the body fat caliper). I found that I am gaining a lot of muscle, and also lot of fat. But the muscle I gained, I think its not enough, that is why I want to try the HST program now. I hope it can give me more muscle than fat. I'm thinking that, whats also holding me back from gaining more muscle is also because of the stubborn muscle group, their counterparts grows really fast but the other, its just so hard to grow, and the imbalances are more visible now I think. My left chest is about 3 times bigger than my right.

2. Jeff anderson's optimum anabolics program already had me calculate my daily calorie needs and it's almost the same as HST. I already raised my calories a few weeks ago, I ate more but what happened was that I started to go to the toilet even more, like 5 times day, and thats crazy. Before I raised my calorie intake I only need to go to the toilet 2 times a day, and thats already tiring. So I reduced my calorie back to the usual.

I will post my routine and diet soon and see how it goes first

Just a small note on muscle inbalances, you may wanna try some Dumbell work, for instance d/b bench press workls very well for this, of course there are others.

But essentially as Tot put it's basically right, as you add mass you body starts to become balanced and it evens out, Italk of presonall experience, my left side sucked big time but it since started looking a whole lot better.

One other thing, and not because I started the thread but &quot;Simplify and Win&quot; to me and many, many others is just the best approach to HST.
wink.gif

Thanks fausto, FYI, I have been using dumbbell all these while, I workout at home, Dumbbells is what I got lol, But i'll follow you people's advise then.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">FYI, I have been using dumbbell all these while</div>

Well...then you're well on your way...just have patience and keep pushing.
wink.gif

Diet changes often take two weeks to adjust to. The toilet thing, the gorged feelings, even nausea...they go away.
It's cutting diet I can't stand. Starvation and weakness..not my style.

Back