Sub max loads

Pikehunter

I am confused about sub-max loads. I understand that these lighter reps should be done in a manner to make them as effective as possible (i.e. perfect form, speed etc.), but if this is so then isn't the net hypertrophy effect the same as "regular" reps done with heavier weight?

Thanks for any help.

Depending on the exercise, going heavier will recruit more stabalizer muscles, for example traps with side lateral raise, and rear delt raises. But typically in order to recruit more target fibers with lighter weight you need to do explosive reps, but rather than that HST calls for slow controlled reps, this helps with the mind muscle connection so that when you do go heavier you are targetting the muscles you want to target with better form.

Depending on the exercise, going heavier will recruit more stabalizer muscles, for example traps with side lateral raise, and rear delt raises. But typically in order to recruit more target fibers with lighter weight you need to do explosive reps, but rather than that HST calls for slow controlled reps, this helps with the mind muscle connection so that when you do go heavier you are targetting the muscles you want to target with better form.

Thanks for the reply. What type of hypertrophy effect is therefore experienced during the submax weeks (i.e. 80% RM). Is there much of a hypertorphy response during these weeks leading to using your RM weight or not so much?

My understanding is that because of SD your muscles are sensitive to sub max loads and will hypertrophy from training with them.

My understanding is that because of SD your muscles are sensitive to sub max loads and will hypertrophy from training with them.

Back