Suggestion for a short HST program

mantica

A friend of mine would like to try HST, but he has two main constraints:
1- w/o length: no more than 35 min. (lunchtime break)
2- Due to back problem no squat and deads of every type.

He can train 3 times per week.

I think that in 35 min he could do 5 exercises.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you

Andrea

<div>
(mantica @ Jan. 25 2007,10:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A friend of mine would like to try HST, but he has two main constraints:
1- w/o length: no more than 35 min. (lunchtime break)
2- Due to back problem no squat and deads of every type.

He can train 3 times per week.

I think that in 35 min he could do 5 exercises.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you

Andrea</div>
Chin ups
Bent over rows (?
rock.gif
...maybe not)
incline bench
dumbbell flat bench
leg press
barbell shoulder press

A/B Routine

A
Leg Press
Bench Press
Pull Ups (assisted or pull downs if strength isn't there for pullups)
Military Press
Skull Crushers (if you want-- can skip)

B.
Leg extension/leg curl super set
Dips
Rows
Military Press
Bicep Curls (if you want -- can skip)

So you would do:
Mon: A
Wed: B
Fri: A

Mon: B
Wed: A
Fri: B

Etc.

<div>
(etothepii @ Jan. 25 2007,22:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wouldn't 5 exercises, two sets each, be ten sets?</div>
Of course. However, my experience has been that doing 10 exercises for one set each is more beneficial than doing 2 sets of 5 exercises. Many people dispute that but I still believe that different exercises for the same bodypart recruit some different muscle fibers more intensely than repeating the same exercise does.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jan. 27 2007,10:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(etothepii @ Jan. 25 2007,22:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wouldn't 5 exercises, two sets each, be ten sets?</div>
Of course. However, my experience has been that doing 10 exercises for one set each is more beneficial than doing 2 sets of 5 exercises. Many people dispute that but I still believe that different exercises for the same bodypart recruit some different muscle fibers more intensely than repeating the same exercise does.</div>
I never thought of it that way ...

I usually do the A/B thing like I posted earlier when I have to shorten up a workout. I may try it your way next time.

What kind of back problem does he have? Most guys I know of who say they can't do deads, squats, rows, etc due to back problems are suffering from a type of back problem I call &quot;being a pansy.&quot;

As long as form is good, deadlifts are amazing therapy for the back. Keep the butt low, back flat and wear a belt. The morning after heavy deads my back feels great, from the bottom hip bone all the way up to my skull, virtually the entire back feels stimulated and loose. If the injury is serious that is different, but I agree with Totentanz, the majority of people who avoid deadlifts might actually benefit from them!
rock.gif

Yup, I can also vouch for the fact that deads are good for your back. They have been instrumental in sorting out my back problems. I used to get all sorts of niggles from a previous injury but since I have been deadlifting my back has been trouble free.

Back