Suggestions on my workout plan

Hello all,

I have been doing a 5x5 program ...

Monday: Squat, Bench, Bent-over row, hyperextension, abs

Wed: lite Squat, Incline, Dead lift, Abs

Friday: Squat, Bench, Bent-over row, weighted dips, bis, tris

Basically ... 10% increments in weights for all 5 sets. On friday - I add 5 lbs to last set and the following week's weights are updated with +5 lbs. Every friday I am able to add 5 lbs to last set.

My strength is scoring ... no plateuing ... but my weight is steady at 150 lbs. Eating 3300 kcals.

Anyway ... I'd figure I'll try the HST program for 6/8 weeks for SIZE more than strength.

Alternate A and B works

Work out A

Squat
Bench
Bent over Row
Military
Bis
Tris
Calves
Abs

Work out B

DL
Dips
Chins
Tris
Bis
Calves
Abs

Opinions please.

Thanks!

And last question ... on the reps (15, 10, 5) ... should you be able to ONLY do those reps? If able to do more ... do you increase weight on the following sets? Say your strenght is going up fast during the program or your RMs are lower than previously thought.

Looking at the HST calculator ... and in the 2 week block of 15 reps, the first few days seem 'light'. So - from the get-go ... when working out - is it MAX 15 reps. If I can do 1 more rep - I should increase weight on next set?

If you aren't gaining weight/size on your current routine, then you aren't eating enough. HST won't fix that no matter how you tweak it. This is a diet issue. The only thing you can do that is effective is to increase the amount of calories you are eating until you are gaining roughly 1 to 2 lbs a week.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Aug. 06 2006,09:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you aren't gaining weight/size on your current routine, then you aren't eating enough.  HST won't fix that no matter how you tweak it.  This is a diet issue.  The only thing you can do that is effective is to increase the amount of calories you are eating until you are gaining roughly 1 to 2 lbs a week.</div>
Forgot to mention - that I added over 25 lbs in 7 months since I started working out. Now at 150'ish - I can't seem to get over 152.

3300 kcal on a 150 lbs guy - isn't sooo lite on the stomach. Beside diet ... can you throw in some 2 cents about the workout?

The earlier parts of each two week cycle are supposed to be somewhat light. The important thing is progression of load.

As to gaining strength, not size, strength can increase because your muscles are getting bigger, or because your CNS is more efficient in using the muscles. So it's possible to get stronger but not bigger for a time. At some point, though, you'll need to grow to keep getting stronger.

If you're not getting bigger on 3300kcal at your size, maybe you need to cut back on other physical activities. Also, how is your protein intake? Generally around a gram per pound of bodyweight is suggested.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Aug. 06 2006,12:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The earlier parts of each two week cycle are supposed to be somewhat light.  The important thing is progression of load.

As to gaining strength, not size, strength can increase because your muscles are getting bigger, or because your CNS is more efficient in using the muscles.  So it's possible to get stronger but not bigger for a time.  At some point, though, you'll need to grow to keep getting stronger.

If you're not getting bigger on 3300kcal at your size, maybe you need to cut back on other physical activities.  Also, how is your protein intake?  Generally around a gram per pound of bodyweight is suggested.</div>
Never calculated protein intake. I eat 'solid', whole food meals. And consume 2 protein shakes a day.

I'm gonna start the program on Monday. Make a believer out of me. ha.

p.s. I love my 5x5 program (Bill Starr's program). So organized, excel chart with 9 weeks worth of weight increments based on your 1RM. It made me real strong. Increasing my max bench by 40 lbs easy.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Yup, had the weight stagnation bit too. Came down to eating; having to force every ounce of food down the throat.

Maybe take a look at eating different, more dense, foods than what you're eating now. You may want to look at getting a weight gainer if you can't stomach too much solid food. That's what I do. Helps a hell of a lot.

for me, I find dips easier on squat day, and bench on DL day, and I'd do shoulders every workout as well...

Eat more frequently if you're having trouble with getting it all in. Eating for size sucks, but it has to be done.

<div>
(Cusp of Carabelli @ Aug. 06 2006,09:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Aug. 06 2006,09:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you aren't gaining weight/size on your current routine, then you aren't eating enough. HST won't fix that no matter how you tweak it. This is a diet issue. The only thing you can do that is effective is to increase the amount of calories you are eating until you are gaining roughly 1 to 2 lbs a week.</div>
Forgot to mention - that I added over 25 lbs in 7 months since I started working out. Now at 150'ish - I can't seem to get over 152.

3300 kcal on a 150 lbs guy - isn't sooo lite on the stomach. Beside diet ... can you throw in some 2 cents about the workout?</div>
The workout looks good in my opinion, but my whole point was that your success is going to come down to your diet. What I do when I have a hard time getting enough calories is add a quarter cup of olive oil to my protein shakes. That adds a lot of calories to your shake and might be just enough to get your calories over maintenance.
I agree that your calorie intake seems like a lot, but if you are very active or have a fast metabolism, that's just how it is. I have to get at least 4000 cals a day when I want to bulk, so I kinda know how it is.

Like I said, your workout looks great. It's very similar to what I do and what a lot of other guys here do. It should work great.

Workout is the basic recommendation with all the main compounds.

Maybe you need to start believing and drop the iso's till late in the cycle.

Also agree that food is the issue, check protein intake, make it at least 1g p/pound bodyweight, and ensure that you have enough fat in your diet (+/- 20% of EFA's, little (less thatn 5%) non-essential fats).

Hope it helps, you may be burningf the calories you need to spurt your growth, if so then either eat more or drop some activities.

Back