Summer HST...(advice)

BRlCK

While at college I had the time to do a routine lifting 3x a week in the AM and the PM. Now that I'm home & have a summer job, I can only lift once a day, and I have a limited time to lift in now. Right now I'm trying to fit in lifting, ab work, and about 5x a week supplementing in 30 minutes of cardio. I "want" to lift 5x a week, hitting the full body every day. I know this sounds different, but multiple threads say it's possible. I've been running a sample routine of what I have planned this for this summer, and it seems too lengthy still and I was hoping for some advice on some exercises to change up or something I can do.

(The following exercises I perform a lightweight warm-up set on each major muscle group. Afterwards I proceed to do just 1 set of the exercise concentrating on strict form and a slow negative and positive.)

Squats
Deadlifts
Straight Bar Curl
Pull Ups
French Triceps Press
Incline
Bent Over Row
Chin Up
Military Press
Shrugs
Straight Leg Calf Press

After my lifting session, which by this time usually takes an hour. I perform 2 sets of 2 different ab exercises which hits the same particular abdominal muscle group (Lower, Upper, and/or oblique.) Everyday I alternate which muscle group I hit during my ab session.

After my abdominal workout I try to burn 150-200 calories on the treadmill. Usually running in my target heart rate zone steadily. Wednesday's I do HIIT.

Any Advice I can get which may speed up things and target more, and just generally.. is "better" I would love to hear it. I'm trying to condense my workout down a bit and I just seem to find it hard to do. Thanks in advance.

28 views and not one response? Somebody out there has to know more about this than I do... Jules.. Anybody?

Do your exercises in an order that puts compound exercises ahead of isolation work. You have 3 lat exercises but only 1 pec exercise. Seems a little lopsided. I think you should add in dips and do only two lat exercises. I assume you mean a straight leggeed deadlift to work the hammies. Could be a little tough on the lower back with also doing squats 5 times per week.

Other than that, looks like a solid routine. Unless you are trying to burn fat, you can reduce the cardio to 20 minutes three times per week and get the same cardiovascular benefit.

You should be able to fit everything, including the cardio and ab work into one hour. If not, try supersetting opposing muscle groups like chest/lats, bis/tris, etc to speed things up a bit.

Enjoy the summer!

happy.gif

Thanks for the advice, I forgot to put in my list that I do perform one set of weighted dips, but I'm not quite sure if I should do them body straight vertical stressing the triceps, or if I should try to angle my body as horizontal as possible and try to hit the chest more. If anyone else have any advice, or have tried a similiar thing of 5x a week, 1 set each exercise please let me know, I loved my AM/PM 3x a week split, and I'm sad I have to do this kind now, but it's all I can get. Thanks in advance... (Let me know!)

Back