Switching from 10s to 5s problem

Here is the problem, my max for 10s on incline benching is 165, but my max for 5s on incline bencing is 175. That means after I done 10s, and switch to 5s I have to lower the weight down when I first start 5s. However some one told me that when you switch to 5s, your minimum should be at least 5 pound higher than your max for 10s. Is this true?

That's what I use, but I don't have any exercises where the difference between a RM is 10 pounds. Are you sure you tested correctly? For bench the difference between my 10RM and 5Rm is 25-30 pounds.

If it's your correct 5RM, there shouldn't be a problem with repeating a weight. I would do 170, 170, 170, 175, 175, 175. If you're eating enough and have gained weight through the cycle, I would bet you've probably gained some strength and your 5RM is more like 180 or 185. You'll know on your first workout with 175. If you can do 2 sets of 5 with 175, then you should max at 180-185.

Hey :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here is the problem, my max for 10s on incline benching is 165, but my max for 5s on incline bencing is 175. That means after I done 10s, and switch to 5s I have to lower the weight down when I first start 5s.

That's called zigzagging. That's not a problem, so just go ahead and do it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However some one told me that when you switch to 5s, your minimum should be at least 5 pound higher than your max for 10s. Is this true?

Nope, not true.

Regards,
-JV

Zigzagging is one way around this problem, personally though I feel it is simply a way to fit in with the 15s-10s-5s set up, which is in turn a simple framework to allow someone to work out using the principles of HST.

Personally I've got out of the idea of using 15s, 10s and 5s and simply ensure that I move up an increment every session and don't go to failure. I start with the lightest load I can get away with...although its true that I'll only do 15 reps and will then work up to my 15rm but from there I just increase the weight and decrease the weight as necessary, stopping 1 or 2 short of failure.

Following that sort of thinking means that there is never an issue concerning the starting weight for a certain amount of reps etc. The only problem I can envisage is that your cycle may not last as long as you may get to a weight which yiou cannot progress beyond quicker. Smaller increments and alternating exercises between sessions should sort that out though.

Repeating a weight would also be an option if necessary but to me zigzagging does not really follow the principle of increasing load, like I said before it is a way of ensuring 15-10-5 rep set up can be followed which I don't believe is necessary once you really understand HST.

Having saif that I think loads of people here do zigzag with no problems and the expert all say its not a problem so if you find that easier go for it and ignore me! Just my thoughts though.

Cheers

Rob

I have a similar Problem-- for instance with my Arnold Presses i do 35 as my 15rm, 45 as my 10rm and 55 as my 5rm. I was thinking of doing 25-25-30-30-35-35 as my 15s then doing 35-35-40-40-45-45 for 10s and 45-45-50-50-55-55 for 5s. what do you think about that?

davie2k0

Your progression is perfect whilst avoiding zigzagging.

Although guys zigzagging is not a sign of weekness
laugh.gif
just a means to accomplish a progression within the pre-set rep scheme.

You may even get stronger while doing it, so do not be afraid to try it!
thumbs-up.gif

cool thanks-- its hard when using dumbells b/c you can't vary teh weight as easily but everyone knows that. I don't yet know if my gym at school has 2.5 lb weight incriments which would be great.

Hey guys :)

For the smaller weights that you can't seem to get a "good progression", repeat the weights as necessary.

Like in your case, davie2k0, just like Fausto said, go ahead and do that, that's ok. You can also zigzag, and that's no problem unless you stay on a lower weight for more than 4 weeks, which most probably won't be the case.

Don't mind the light loads, especially on dumbbells. It's not about how high or low the poundages are numerically. It's about how conditioned your muscles are for them. If your max is 50, then it will take your muscles just as much time to adapt to 50 pounds as the muscles of someone to adapt to 200 if his max is 200. Make sense? So no matter how light they may appear, if you tested your maxes right, feel free to repeat some of those "light" weights as needed. It'll take 4-6 weeks before on individual weight becomes ineffective, so any zigzag you will end up doing isn't going to ruin your workout.

Regards, keep on growing! :)
-JV

Back