switching from a traditional workout to HST.

brianr3123

Im getting a friend started on HST. He has been working out with a two muscle group per day workout plan (back and bis one day, the tris and chest next day etc.) for over a year.  He wants to switch to HST right away.  Should I tell him take a week or two off before he starts or does deconditioning not matter in this case?

I suggest that you tell your friend to find his 15, 10 and 5 RM maxes this week and then SD for a while before getting started with HST.

I would suggest the same thing that 9to5 said, but if the guy is really impatient, the 15s might at least serve as a deloading period or something... kinda depends on what sort of loads the guy was using before. He'll likely get the best results if he takes 9 days off though.

The first time ever I'll disagree (partially) with Totentanz...I switched from Musclenow to HST without a deload and didn't grow a bit...and got weaker! Then a 14-day "make sure" SD and my second HST cycle was amazing! I'd have him take 4 days off with nothing, then do cardio for 3 or 4 days to get ready for the 15's.

yes i also disagree the first time with tot !
he should really take 7 days sd !!!!

tot sd is nothing like the deloading thing in dualfactortraining theories (which are also working fine)
bryan said that so many times, if i remember this good.

but when this guy have trained like a 7 year old girl before than a hst cycle without sd before would be fine
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That's why I said it would depend on what he was doing before. If he was working in a 5 rep range a lot, then he'll definitely want to take an SD. However, If he was doing pump training before, then an SD may not be necessary.

Good advice Joe. I messed up doing maxes then trying to run into the cycle. Now my charts tell me what my maxes are!

Why compromise any possible results? As the others have suggested, find maxes then take a 9 day SD. Enthusiasm will be running high after SD, which is always a good thing when starting any new program.

Back