T-Bar rows instead of barbell rows

Fuzzy_Logic

Been doing HST now for a while, and I find that using barbell rows in a HST-program is very hard.

First of all you have to start with 45lb plates on each side to get the bar in correct height. This causes the increments to be way too small for proper progression.

Second they are really hard on the lower back during the 15reps phase because one set takes so long to complete, and the lower back has to stay in isometric contraction for so long.

Thus I am wondering if it would be okay to replace barbell rows with T-bar rows, most because it allows for easier progression and bigger increments on the total weight used. They are also easier on the lower back.

PS: When I say T-bar rows I mean old-school (not machine), with a barbell between the legs.

Last edited:
Yes it is ok. Actually HST does not require any specific exercise to be made. Surely it is recommended that you have at least one upper back exercise and it can be BB Rows, chest supported rows, unilateral DB rows, T-bar rows, Pendlay's rows or whatever.
So, in short, it is ok to replace barbell rows with T-bar rows.
While I am at it, I don't think you really need to start BB rows with 45lbs plates. The difference in height is not that much and after you lift the BB from the floor you don't need to touch the floor until you are done, so it won't matter much. If you are doing Pendlay's rows in which you lift the weight from the floor on every rep the difference in height might make some difference.

I think I prefer Kroc rows these days. They make a nice change from regular bb rows. Much kinder on lower back and a real blaster with higher reps. It's possible to shift some pretty big weights too which is good for load progression.

Matt Kroczaleski is using straps in the vid but without straps you will work your grip really well too. I've been using hook grip to train that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back