Take a look at my Program Please

mindstar

Hi folks, I am new to HST but not to BBing...I've been lifting for years, with some great gains coming in the last year or so...right now I'm at 200lbs, 12% or so and cutting.  My ultimate goal is 215 @ 8%.

Having looked through here, I've taken a program from someone else and added my numbers in.  I haven't tested my 5/10 rep maxes yet, these numbers are based on my 15 rep maxes and a calculator online...some of the jumps in BP and Squat are a little daunting, I'm going to test my numbers today.  

I've just come off a week off the gym, so will I need to SD after this one session testing my 5's or can I hit it on Monday?

Also, is there enough Hamstring work in here?  I'm also concerned with my pec development, should I add another chest exercise?

I've attached a pic and my (stolen) spreadsheet.

All comments welcome!

Welcome aboard Mindstar.

Schedule looks good. I reckon the deads and squats will give your hams plenty to think about but you could do some SLDLs after squats - maybe just one or two work sets? I like this combo and find it doesn't interfere with progress on normal deads for the next w/o.

I would alternate incline bp with weighted dips if you are concerned about chest development.

Not sure what's going on during post 5s on your chart? These w/os should be your 5RM loads or heavier. There's no need for back cycling to the start of the 5s although it wouldn't hurt to lower the load a bit and then start incrementing again should you want to extend the 5s longer than an extra couple of weeks. Not much point though unless you are feeling a bit burnt out after your 5RMs. In that case it would be better to finish the post-5s and then SD.

A few more observations:

Deads seem a little light compared to your squats and your military presses seem light compared to your bench.

If you are cutting it may not be a good idea to spend too long on 15s. Perhaps drop this to one week or start straight on the 10s.

Yeah, that is my program.

Not much to add to what LOL is saying, add dips for sure alternated with BP and if possible with added weight at least from the 10's on...

Deads are a little light compared to squats but...hey...they scare me too...so, try a little higher if you can.

In comparison I find your Mil presses a little light fro the benching you do!

Thanks guys...I think I'm going to test out the 5's as I've just come off a 15 rep 2 weeks so those numbers should be fine, and the 10's seem really reasonable to me as well.

You're all right about the Military press, I haven't done it forever...though those numbers are for DB's if that makes any difference. I will definitely add weighted dips in there, as I love them. Deadlifts will be new for me, as I've only included SLDL's before, hence my conservative numbers.

The second 2 week set of 5's confuses me, should I be surpasing my previous week's maxes or should I enter my ultimate 5 rep max at the end of the 4th week of 5's and work backward off of that?

Thanks guys, this is a great forum!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">those numbers are for DB's if that makes any difference</div>

Makes all teh difference in the world!
biggrin.gif

We're talking full dedalifts, else the numbers are more than fine.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The second 2 week set of 5's confuses me, should I be surpasing my previous week's maxes or should I enter my ultimate 5 rep max at the end of the 4th week of 5's and work backward off of that? </div>

Second week set of 5's is for negatives, here you dwelve into 1RM terriutory doing 5 reps with the help of a &quot;pardner&quot;, in the absence of such...you try to hit 3 rm or better, that is basically it!

Happy HSTying!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Lcars...I'd agree with you, I'm probably 12-14% right now, which is my leanest ever, I think...I wish I'd paid more attention to how important nutrition is when I was beginning. I've just started to get a handle on it in the last year or so, and my gains have been amazing.

Does anyone have any tips on cutting and HST (other than reducing the 15's to one week, as mentioned above)? I've noticed some strength losses as I cut, is this going to mess up my HST cycle if it continues?

Thanks again guys, I'm excited to try HST, I've not done a full body split before, and am super curious as to how this is going to work for me.

mindstar

For now just do HST, if you can go higher volume, something like

15 - 2 sets
10 - 3 sets
5's - 6 sets (or at least for some)

This type of volume with the recommended frequency should of and by itself induce a leaner body at the end of 8 weeks.

Don't drop the intake too much or at all, if nothing else maintain it at maintenance and if weak top up a little.

IOW do not cut but don't bulk up either - just try HST first off and see what comes of it, then make your decision.

programm looks good, just like mine, but i have only one week of 15`s.
i dont have read the whole thread ... just want to say have fun with hst. please post your results in this thread if you want ! and feedback how it is going for you when you compare it to the other systems that you have made !
cool.gif

regards...

well i tested all my 5 rep maxes today, and found they were pretty close to the calculated maxes I had based off of my prior working out...

Fausto, just so I'm clear, you're saying that the above volume will lead to lipolyses with maintenance calories? I'm only asking because I've been sub maintenance on a 3 day push/pull/legs split and losing weight (exccept for last week when I was sick)...Is HST that much more intense than a traditional split?

Can I still do cardio? Generally I'm on a 20 minute cardio session on weight days and 45 mins on off days, with Sunday completely off.

And one final question...what about calves?

Thanks again everyone, I will be sure to keep people updated!

mind

Higher volume such as the one you have can induce a somewhat aerobic feel to the workout which I sincerely believe would lead to some level of lypolisis. specially if you will do some cardio like 2x/week or so, nothing too heavy.

Tabata style cardio should pay off well as it is only 4 intense minutes.

HST would be heavier than split training because it is a whole body program in one, so keep sub-maintenance but if you feel weak top up to maintenance and keep watching this space
cool.gif

make sure you do cardio after weights..and on non weight days as fausto said do some hiit,tabata,and slow steady,..good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi Fausto,

Just to confirm that I'm understanding this correctly, for bulk the program is something like:

15 - 2 sets
10 - 2sets
5's - 3 sets

But for cutting its:

15 - 2 sets
10 - 3 sets
5's - 6 sets

In other words, more sets in the 5s?

Also, what about negatives during the cutting period?

Thanks.

Hi Fausto,

Just to confirm that I'm understanding this correctly, for bulk the program is something like:

15 - 2 sets
10 - 2sets
5's - 3 sets

But for cutting its:

15 - 2 sets
10 - 3 sets
5's - 6 sets

In other words, more sets in the 5s?

Also, what about negatives during the cutting period?

Thanks.

Biou

That will help you cut only if you are eating within maintenance, if not you should grow well with it! It will induce higher burning if you keep the rest short and sweet!

But it is simply to keep the volume constant! 30 all the way!

I think for negatives you may want to go backj to 3 sets, it really depends on your stamina! Else keep the 5 x 6, it may just surprise you!

Back