The 5 Rep Max

Bonio

It's only taken me a year to ponder this question and I'm sure it's covered somewhere but I'm having a blonde moment
blush.gif

Basically, I've suspected I might not be pushing myself as hard as I could be....y'see, I base my 5 rep max on the max weight I can lift for three sets....

Obviously, If I were to do my true 5 rep max, I most definately would not be able to do 3 sets, so, is there any benefit to shooting for my true 5 rep max and then doing as many as I can with whatever is left in the tank, whilst avoiding failure, or, stick to a rep max I can do 3X5?

If your strength is increasing over time, then that is good. If not, then I would say yes, shoot for a higher weight which you can only do 5 reps for in one set.

So far, I have increased my RM's in each range every cycle so I guess I should carry on doing what I'm doing eh?

usually your 5rep max for 3 sets would come at the end of your 2nd week of 5's. negatives or a continuation of the 5's is what comes next until you stop progressing (in wgt lifted) or need a mental/physical break.

it doesnt sound like your doing much past that 2nd week of 5s. this would be the period you move the wgt up and utilize spots, less reps, clustering, negatives etc etc. to test the upper limits of your strength.

as sci said if your wgts are moving up each cycle then you are doing well. just dont short change your potential strength/size gains by stopping the 5s/negatives too soon.

good luck

<div>
(Bonio @ Feb. 21 2007,23:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So far, I have increased my RM's in each range every cycle so I guess I should carry on doing what I'm doing eh?</div>
Yes, I think a golden rule in this sport is &quot;Don´t fix that which isn´t broken&quot;.
When you experience no progress then its time to ponder what you could do get results again.

Cheers guys...

I stretched to 10 weeks on my last, but one, cycle but reached a plateau with 3x5....have to confess, I haven't really given negatives a fair go.....I tried them on chins with 20kg on my belt and felt like I needed more.....maybe I wasn't doing 'em right...anyway, like Sniggel say's, it aint broke yet so I'll keep on keeping on!

Cheers

I have a quick question that's been on my mind. So I find my 5rm before my HST cycle, which is a weight I can do 5 times just before failure, and only for 1 set. Also I've decided I wanted to keep the volume the same in my cycle, so 20 reps for 15rm, 10rm and 5rm. Then effectively on the friday of the 6th week I would be doing my 5rm 4 times, surely that shouldn't be possible if it's my max?

Welcome mccan &amp; Bonnio

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Then effectively on the friday of the 6th week I would be doing my 5rm 4 times, surely that shouldn't be possible if it's my max? </div>

Sure it will, that was your max at the time you started training, by the time you reach that 5 RM, that is probably closer to your 8 RM or so, i.o.w. you'll be stronger provided of course that all other vectors are looked after well, like eating above maintenance, sleeping 8 hours minimum, and keeping progression going.

What might happen is that your second, third and fourth sets may be a little harder to complete all 5, then do clustering to get you there!

Back