The dips issue...

cedfav

Good day,

wondering how to integrate and manage dips progression within the method, I couldn't unfortunately find clear answers in spite of my lookup.

To give a idea, my current level allows me to do 3 x 12-15 reps (BW, ~160 lbs). Occasional trials weighted dips at 10 kg (~22 lbs) ok for 10 reps.

Could then somebody tell me how to deal with dips? I mean in particular :

- how to start with?
- when to add increments and how to manage them (weight or %)?
- how to place them in the HST calculator?
- is it relevant (why then?) to combine them in a cycle where bench press is already set?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

I personally prefer weighted dips to straight barbell bench press. Dips are often referred to as the upper body squat; that is, they are an excellent compound exercise for building the chest, shoulders, triceps, etc. I just recently started doing weighted dips again and i've definitely enjoyed some growth and strength gains.

For progression, I would use the following (in order)
1. An assisted dip "machine"...
2. Therabands. Put your knees on a theraband and tie off to the handles to take some of the weight off
3. Put your feet up on a chair bahind you (obviously the least accurate to measure weight removed)

For 15's work your way up to bodyweight for 15. Start with -30 lbs, then -25, and so on until BW.

For 10's you may want to stagger the weight a bit, start with -10 lbs and move up to +25

Same sort of progression for 5's.

Hope this helps. :)

Back