The Main Principle

Entomba

Hi.

If I understood right, the main idea is to give muscle increasing load over a certain period of time, right?
So, why can't you reach your RM every week, instead of doing it in 2 weeks cycle? Is it more stressing to the body instead of doing 6 training sessions, and two weeks, to reach your RM in given rep?

And is it based on science and Bryan's own experience that it has to be 6 training sessions to go to RM and then change load and decrease reps? Or it's just convenient to follow?

For example, is this still following HST's principle:
In first 4 (yes, instead of 3) training session (M/W/F/Sun) you reach your 15 RM then you do 3 or 4 or 5 training sessions to reach your 10 or 12 RM. Are those training day amounts in given rep only that people have some rules to follow when there is set some standars?
I mean, 2 weeks of 15s, 10s and then 5s + negatives.

The idea, if I understood right, is just give muscle a certain amount of load, which increases over a time, and then when you hit the plateau, in RM, or near it, and in overall (end of cycle), you get the hell out of training for 7 to 14 days, then hit the gym again and start again your cycle, but try to increase the progression ie. give the muscle a wider gap for progressive loading?

These numbers, weeks, training session etc., are only made to people to follow these principles easier, right?

So, I can accustome my sets how the hell I want, just to give a rest between every training session (36 - 48 h) and just increase the load over a period of time. Moving from one reo to another closer to 5s...

But what I want to know, Lyle McDonald said that more weeks (3 to 4) with same rep works just fine and it would work for guys like him and Bryan because it's more effective or did he mean, it's more heavier to do that way?
But how come 1 week isn't beneficial. Is it avoided, like I asked, only that you get joint injuries easily instead of doing more weeks in given rep?

Okay, for all you has been following HST, what's the difference between this?

Version #1:

WEEK 1.
Mon: 10 kg x 15
Wed: 15 kg x 15
Fri: 20 kg x 15

WEEK 2.
Mon: 25 kg x 15
Wed: 30 kg x 15
Fri: 35 kg x 15 RM

version #2:

WEEK 1.
Mon: 25 kg x 15
Wed: 30 kg x 15
Fri: 35 kg x 15

WEEK2.
Mon: 32,5 kg x 12
Wed: 35 kg x 12
Fri: 37,5 kg 12 RM

I mean, the difference is obvious but how the body and mucle tissues handle those two situations (version #1 and #2) and how they differ reagarding the muscle growth?

In version 1 the load is progressive constantly but in version 2 there's overlapping.
But when you move to 10 reps in version 1 (WEEK 3), you still may have overlapping...Hmmm.

Is that in version 1 the progression is longer and more steady and causes the muscle more growth but in version 2 you workout near your RM and it's not as hypertrophy but instead more damaging and you hit your RBE faster?

Last edited:
Back