The PERFECT Rep

Joe.Muscle

This is for the guys who have a tremedous amount of science and knowledge. My question is why wouldn't a perfect set or reps be on were...

You lifted a weight so heavy that you failed at 5 reps...you then dropped to a weight that allowed you to fail again at 5 reps and then without hesiation another weight that allowed to to fail at 5 more reps. This sounds like your typical drop set I know but its really simple yet trivial...it would seem that the first set would be for strenght...next immediate set for hypertrophy...and the last immediate rep for endurace...example would be like 5 rep 10 rep 15 rep set all in one. Does this make sense???

Sorry if I confused anyone but I have been lifting for 10 years and since following hst for past 1 1/2 years I got to thinking about that? :)

Your heaviest set, the first one, would put the most strain on the muscle therefore cause the most signaling for hypertrophy and strength. The second and third set would only induce metabolic stress, which is not a bad thing, but by hitting failure 3 times in your set you'd be taking a pretty big hit to your CNS.
You'd be better off doing 2 work sets at the same weight, stopping before failure, then doing a burn set to finish off. My .02

the experts here have said this a couple of times ithink, hitting failure too many times will eventually inhibit incrementing and training frequency, thus not optimal for hypertrophy.

workset + 1 burnset or 2 will do the body good. workset = strain= p38 activation. burnset = metabolic= erk1/2 activation.

erk1/2 + p38 activation = hypertrophyville as DKm would put it :)

(i don't know what either of those things are, other than that they are crucial for hypertrophy)

pzhang

Back