The second set...

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_daxie
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_daxie

I've got a question about the second set when doing exercises.
I have read a lot of comments that the second set is kind of a surplus, and not as necessary as the first. How comes?
How should I perform it then?
For example with the weight I'm using I can do the first set ok, but the second set gets very close to failure when reaching the final rep (or fails before that).
I understand that I shouldn't try to make the reps, but how does the second set add to the general? Is it just the extra volume, should it be seen as an extra load? (Cause I can imagine when increasing the weight used, the amount of reps possible in that second set will drop, so total volume might decrease...)
Just need some clarification, thank you!
Daxie

*and darn, everybody thinks I'm mad running around with a chart full of numbers and going from one exercise to the other

it's pretty hard to finish the second set especially if you're at your max. if your volume in 10s is 20.. you're first set would be 10 reps and if you feel you couldn't do another straight 10 reps then you could go clustering. what's important is to get 20s reps (or whatever your volume is) total.
it may go like : 10 reps + 5 + 3 + 2 or 10 + 5 + 5 whatever.
the way i do it, i don't really count the sets. i just go for the target # of reps.

As I see it, the second set is a means to get more TUL, especially during the low reps phase. I agree with skinnyman about the clustering, the important thing is to get enough TUL, not to test your strength limits. The muscle itself does not count reps or sets.

Back