The Twog Log

twog

Tomorrow I finish my first cycle of HST (finish, as in I'll be at the end of my two weeks of 5's). Not sure what to do next. I am 41 and I am working out twice a day (late morning/late afternoon). Gotta say, I've paid ridiculous money for workout routines guaranteed to build muscle and nothing has felt as good as this. On my tall-arse frame, gains are suh-low in coming for this old boy. Still spending time each day absorbing what y'all post.

Twog

You can easily do another two weeks of fives and progress a little slower even once a week or not at all, your gains will still pay off.

Then SD
biggrin.gif

...or you could try 2 weeks of negatives, as long as your joints feel healthy. Or use clustering to keep a constant rep count while upping the weights a bit.

Twog,

As the guys suggest, you can just keep going and do another two weeks or so of 5s using your 5RM loads or increase the loads and do negs or mix it up a bit and do some 5RMs and some negs. Some exercises like dips and chins lend themselves particularly well to negs.

First, if you think you have surpassed your previous 5RMs, carry on incrementing the loads each w/o a bit until you find your new 5RMs and continue with those. You'll probably have to cluster reps after your first sets with these new loads as they will feel pretty heavy.

I am also 41 and find that after two weeks at my 5RM weights (or above) my body is beginning to feel a bit broken and in need of some SD. So, whilst you could keep the 5s going for as long as you are still making progress, your body (and common sense) might suggest otherwise!
smile.gif

Back