those RM days in the cycle

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_dreadrok
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_dreadrok

Here is my issue, today was my final workout in the 10's. I should be using my 10RM for 2 sets. in doing this i can get the first set down, but the second set for the same amount of reps is so so hard, and prolonging the rest between sets can only be taken so far in trying to get out of there in a reasonable time. so this is what is happening with me.
I do the first set for 10 reps. then my next set usually ends up at about 8 reps, then i take a quick rest, and do 2 more reps, equaling the total of 10 reps with a mini cluster. so when doing those rep max workouts for 10's and 5's is it ok to cluster the 2nd and in some cases 3rd sets to reach the prescribed number, or should i lower the weight to where its really my 10rm on the second set?
im thinking i can go heavier on most of my maxes if im not thinking about that 2nd or 3rd set.
thanks for taking the time to answer alot of my questions everyone, i really appreciate it.

Progressively increasing mechanical strain on the muscle tissue and therefore activation of mechanoreceptors is what you are aiming for. For a RM workout, second or third sets will invariably need to be clustered due to the effects of fatigue. By maintaining the load and then performing clustered reps which take you close to, but avoid, failure you will continue to subject the muscle tissue to the same mechanical strain. This is a good thing as far as hypertrophy is concerned.

Reducing the load to enable you to perform more continuous repetitions will consequently mean a reduction in mechanical strain but an increase in metabolic strain. Assuming you are only doing a total of 15-20 reps with your working load, dropping the load before completing all your reps will generally not be a good idea; you need enough volume with your working load to ensure you trigger a decent PS response. Once you are sure you have done enough reps with your working load (How long is a piece of string?
smile.gif
), dropping the weight and adding in more metabolic work might be of benefit but it also might cause you to burn out more quickly - especially towards the heavy end of the cycle. Your approach will depend on your level of conditioning to mechanical and metabolic strain (p38 and erk1/2 signalling pathways).

So, yeah, like electric said, keep the loads up but cluster reps after the first set.

Or, perhaps, if your first set was at your true RM, you don't even need that attempt at a second set.
rock.gif

Great question, dreadrok, and great answers, lol and electric. I've wondered about the very same issue. Today, for example, I could complete 10 reps of weighted chins for my first set. Having read the above posts just before my workout, I clustered the second set of chins: 7-2-1, rather than straining and kicking to complete 10. Thanks for raising the question and for the answers.

Back