thoughts on "advanced training planning for bodybuilders"

cov

hello hst brethren

i've been doing HST on/off for about the last 8 years and I always come back to it as the method that gives me the best strength increases, but of course i'm always looking for ways to keep it fresh.

i noticed this link off of the base thinkmuscle site to another bryan routine: http://thinkmuscle.com/training/advanced-training-planning-for-bodybuilders-part-3/
this looks like a nice permutation / extension of HST with macrocycles and some instances of differently-structured workouts (some half-body weeks, some 2-3 exercises per bodypart weeks, some weeks of only 1-2 workouts). has anyone tried this out?

edit:
guess i should give some background:
i've been training for almost 20 years now (missed a workout once in '94), always natural
6'0, 210lbs, 35yo
bests:
d/l: 585 1rm
squat: 605 x4
bench: 315 1rm (suck at that)

Last edited:
I havent tried it. But if you are looking for an advanced bodybuilding program, I would say it looks to be near perfect. A good program for someone looking to compete, or at least maximize their potential for mass.

Last edited:
It was the first permutation of HST. What we know as HST today on the main site is the 'updated' version. That article was what started the whole thing.

it sounds pretty exhausting to implement. for example "Week 5 – 7: 3 work sets with 10-12 RM. 2-3 exercises per body part. 3 full-body sessions/week." assuming we have 9 bodyparts: chest, back, quads, hams, calves, shoulders, bis, tris, traps- that would be anywhere from 9 bodyparts x 2 exercises x 3 sets per - 54-81 total sets in a workout!

also, why doesn't HST (at least from what i've found) have macro / meso cycles and weeks with fewer workouts? would it be too much to chew for novices?

Before I go off on a 2 week or so vacation with no workouts planned, I may do a week of doubling up of my normal volume. That may come close to 100 work sets for the entire week. However, it is a recipe for injury if you do that as a steady regime, even (or perhaps more so) with lots of drugs. I like to keep my normal weekly volume to no more than 50 sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds pretty exhausting to implement. for example "Week 5 – 7: 3 work sets with 10-12 RM. 2-3 exercises per body part. 3 full-body sessions/week." assuming we have 9 bodyparts: chest, back, quads, hams, calves, shoulders, bis, tris, traps- that would be anywhere from 9 bodyparts x 2 exercises x 3 sets per - 54-81 total sets in a workout!

also, why doesn't HST (at least from what i've found) have macro / meso cycles and weeks with fewer workouts? would it be too much to chew for novices?

HST has whatever you want it to have, provided you follow the four principles. The example routine does not include variations because it was meant to be simple so that the majority of people could just plug in their loads to use and use it without having to do too much thinking.

Back