Thoughts on my own Split HST

tjframe

Any thoughts from the experts on my own tweaked HST cycle. It has worked well for me although it does deviate a bit from standard HST protocol.

First a few caveats:

1) I just cant get into whole body workouts ( legs + chest + back + arms) no matter how hard I try, and because of time constraints I can't workout twice per day at the gym.

2) I'm focusing on arms and calves

3)  I cant free weight bench due to dislocating both shoulders (the joints grind and cause pain). Its ok becuase my chest/front delts are already large and grows fast with almost any pressing movements I do.

4) I cant free weight squat/deadlift anymore due to a genetic back condition that was exacerbated by heavy lifting while young. It's not fatal becuase my thighs are largish and grow well anyway.

I split my routine up as follows using the standard  15/10/5 rep system

- day 1 -

Hammer Row Machine one arm at a time: 2 sets
Lat Pullover Machine: 2 sets
Hammer Decline Chest Machine: 3 sets
Shrugs: 1 set
Weighted Dips: 2 Sets
Barbell Curls: 2 sets
Pushdowns: 2 Sets
Single Arm machine preacher curls: 2 sets

- Day 2 -

Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets
Seated Calf raises: 2 sets
Leg Extension: 2 sets  (done first to exhaust the quads so less weight is needed for leg press/hacks)
Leg press one leg at a time (reduces back pain): 2 sets
Hack Machine Squats: 1 set
Leg Curl: 3 sets
Lower Back Machine: 2 sets
Seated front overhead Smith machine Press: 2 Sets
Lateral Dumbell Raises: 3 Sets
Bent Over Raises: 2 Sets

- Day 3 -
same as day 1

- Day 4 -
same as day 2

- Day 5 -

Rest

After 2  5 day cycles I take an extra day off of rest.

At this point I feel the main problem is that I'm maxed out on all the Hammer Machines - I may have to get two metal dowels to slide into the existing plate holding dowls so that i can add more 45's to the row machines and the decline chest machine. I may try one arm dumbell rows if they dont kill my lower back. Bent over barbell rows are out of the question.

I was thinking of buying  a few dumbbells and doing dumbell tricep extensions and bicep curls in the AM of my lower body day for a few weeks to see what effect  the extra volume might have.

Anyone see any major problems or issues I havent taken into account?

thanks,

- TJ

Back