Time to cut

DwayneJohnson

In 2 weeks I will be done with my 3rd HST bulking cycle (of ~8 weeks each) in a row. This will be my first cut since starting HST 6 months ago and it is much needed as I've gained about 20 pounds and several inches on my waist.

I have re-read the dieting section of the HST materials but I know some of the wisdom has changed since HST was first written. Hence the following questions:
1. Should I take a week off for strategic deconditioning before starting my cutting cycle?
2. I have gained 20 pounds in the last 6 months. I gained a good amount of strength so clearly some of this weight is muscle though I did gain 2-3 inches on my waist. How much fat is it realistic to assume I have put on (ballpark)?
3. Based on your answer to question 2 above, how long should I budget this cut to take?
4. I read it is best to skip 15s while cutting. So if I do 2 weeks of 10s then 2 weeks of 5s, where do I go from there?
5. Is it best to cut out certain exercises like bicep curls and triceps altogether?
6. I have been eating ~3000 calories a day during my bulk. How quickly should I drop calories? Should I drop to 2400 for 2 weeks and then 1800 thereafter?

Many thanks guys
Dwayne

In 2 weeks I will be done with my 3rd HST bulking cycle (of ~8 weeks each) in a row. This will be my first cut since starting HST 6 months ago and it is much needed as I've gained about 20 pounds and several inches on my waist.

I have re-read the dieting section of the HST materials but I know some of the wisdom has changed since HST was first written. Hence the following questions:
1. Should I take a week off for strategic deconditioning before starting my cutting cycle?

Not necessary, since you aren't going to be growing on a cut anyway. Take the time off if you feel like you need it, otherwise just go right into the cut.

2. I have gained 20 pounds in the last 6 months. I gained a good amount of strength so clearly some of this weight is muscle though I did gain 2-3 inches on my waist. How much fat is it realistic to assume I have put on (ballpark)?

At most 10 lbs. Probably closer to 8. It's really hard to ballpark it though, better to have had caliper measurements before the bulk and now. I would get calipers if you don't have them, use those to judge if you are losing fat.

3. Based on your answer to question 2 above, how long should I budget this cut to take?

I would shoot for 10 weeks to be safe. The slower you take the cut, in general, the safer.

4. I read it is best to skip 15s while cutting. So if I do 2 weeks of 10s then 2 weeks of 5s, where do I go from there?

Continue the 5s until you can't anymore. The heavier you lift, the better. I'd probably skip the 10s as well or shorten them to a week. Maybe try 8s and then 5s instead of 10s.

5. Is it best to cut out certain exercises like bicep curls and triceps altogether?

Up to you. Your arms aren't going to grow anyway. If you have pressing work and stuff like chins in your routine, the biceps and triceps should get enough stimulus to maintain mass while cutting the fat.

6. I have been eating ~3000 calories a day during my bulk. How quickly should I drop calories? Should I drop to 2400 for 2 weeks and then 1800 thereafter?

1800 seems too low. If 3000 was your bulking, then 2500 is probably around your maintenance, so dropping to 2000 seems like it would be better. Unless you used the formula from the "HST and Cutting" chapter of the ebook to get to this figure, then maybe 1800 is correct. If you want to take an SD, eat at maintenance during that time just to stabilize everything, then head into the cut.

1. I wouldn't. In fact, I'd just continue at your 5RM (though not heavier) for the duration of cutting. Skip the 15s and do 10s-5s-5RMs if you feel the heavies are too much for you.

2. Your strength will lapse a little whilst cutting. Not knowing your specific situation, I'd say anywhere from 6 - 10 lbs is fat.

3. 8 - 12 weeks.

4. See above.

5. I would cut them out period, but in regard to the context of your current scenario, I'd cut them out because the calorie reduction will have your joints screaming for more food, and you'll also invariably reduce fat intake at some point, meaning joints will be grumbling. Lastly, you should save your energy (not physical caloric energy, but mental/workout 'energy') for the big compounds. You're looking to preserve, not 'bring up'.

6. You will need to reduce as you lose weight. I would start with 500 reduction, then once your loss stalls, drop another 3-500 and repeat. 1800 will kick the $hit out of you and be a serious mistake IMO.

Thanks for your detailed reply totentanz. You never miss a thread. One quick follow up on question 6: I forgot to mention I intend to do 3 sessions of 20 min HIIT cardio per week. The calorie calculator suggested 1,900 as my base rate. Will it be ok to eat 1900 AND do 3x weight AND do 3x HIIT cardio?

Thanks AlexAustralia.

1. I wouldn't. In fact, I'd just continue at your 5RM (though not heavier) for the duration of cutting. Skip the 15s and do 10s-5s-5RMs if you feel the heavies are too much for you.

2. Your strength will lapse a little whilst cutting. Not knowing your specific situation, I'd say anywhere from 6 - 10 lbs is fat.

3. 8 - 12 weeks.

4. See above.

5. I would cut them out period, but in regard to the context of your current scenario, I'd cut them out because the calorie reduction will have your joints screaming for more food, and you'll also invariably reduce fat intake at some point, meaning joints will be grumbling. Lastly, you should save your energy (not physical caloric energy, but mental/workout 'energy') for the big compounds. You're looking to preserve, not 'bring up'.

6. You will need to reduce as you lose weight. I would start with 500 reduction, then once your loss stalls, drop another 3-500 and repeat. 1800 will kick the $hit out of you and be a serious mistake IMO.

Thanks for your detailed reply totentanz. You never miss a thread. One quick follow up on question 6: I forgot to mention I intend to do 3 sessions of 20 min HIIT cardio per week. The calorie calculator suggested 1,900 as my base rate. Will it be ok to eat 1900 AND do 3x weight AND do 3x HIIT cardio?

Keep in mind that your base rate does not take activity into account. I would up it to 2000. Also note that HIIT 3x a week may impact your recovery for legs, so you may have to cut back volume for legs on the days you lift.

Yes I understand. So how would you cut back on leg reps if I do 3x cardo...

How about the following:
* On "no deadlift days," 2 sets of squats for 5 reps + 2 sets of stiff leg deadlifts for 5 reps
* On deadlift days, just 3 sets of leg press

Is that still too much? ps I never work calves

Keep in mind that your base rate does not take activity into account. I would up it to 2000. Also note that HIIT 3x a week may impact your recovery for legs, so you may have to cut back volume for legs on the days you lift.

Dwayne, your last question is very specific. Because of the many variables that come into play in determining a specific individual's routine, it is virtually impossible to answer specific questions accurately. It is like asking a non-quack doctor online to diagnose and prescribe medication for you when all he knows is that you are a male and you have a tummy ache. The best we can do is provide general advice. Specificities are up to each individual to determine. Experiment and listen to what your legs tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless your conditioning is already pretty strong you may find adding 3 HIIT sessions a week pretty overwhelming during a cut, at least that was what I found. I moved back to just once a week after the workout if I have the energy and I think I can recover in time for next workout. While steady state cardio can release some catabolic hormones I found it way easier to incorporate without hitting an exhaustion wall that would impact my subsequent workouts.

Ok thanks guys. Another question:

When I start cutting, you said it is best to skip 15s and 10s and jump right into the 5s. Should I go back to 75% of my 5RM on workout 1, 80% on workout 2, etc, until reaching 100% by workout #6, as I would in a normal bulking cycle, or should I just keep going at 100% of my 5 RM directly?

For muscle preservation reasons, it would be safer not to start cutting before you get to your 5RM or thereabouts. So try the de-load to 75% and ramp up to 100% for 2 weeks if you feel your CNS needs time to recover, but don't start the cutting yet. You can probably drop the caloric intake down to maintenance with no ill effects, though. 100 kals every couple of days would be safer than 500 in one go.

For muscle preservation reasons, it would be safer not to start cutting before you get to your 5RM or thereabouts. So try the de-load to 75% and ramp up to 100% for 2 weeks if you feel your CNS needs time to recover, but don't start the cutting yet. You can probably drop the caloric intake down to maintenance with no ill effects, though. 100 kals every couple of days would be safer than 500 in one go.

Agreed. Ideally, you want to work your 5 RM or heavier throughout the cut. If it becomes difficult to manage doing 5 RM fullbody three times a week, you could move to an upper/lower split and work out 4 times a week. You don't need to go crazy with the volume either when cutting.

Totentanz, I saw you bring up the possibility of doing an upper/lower split 4 times a week. This implies I'd be working each muscle group 2x per week.

Instead of the upper/lower split 4x per week, would it be sufficient to do a full body workout 2x per week when cutting? I would cumulate all the sets for 1 lower body session + 1 upper body session into just 1 workout, and repeat that twice per week.

Agreed. Ideally, you want to work your 5 RM or heavier throughout the cut. If it becomes difficult to manage doing 5 RM fullbody three times a week, you could move to an upper/lower split and work out 4 times a week. You don't need to go crazy with the volume either when cutting.

Yes, twice a week is sufficient when cutting given enough volume and heavy enough load. I would still prefer to see it spread out among 3-4 days if possible though. An upper/lower split as I described would have you reduce the cardio down to twice a week and would keep you in protein synthesis for a full 36 hours longer than 3x a week fullbody with cardio 3x a week. However. I've done twice a week fullbody while cutting when I didn't have time for more sessions and it worked perfectly fine.

Ok thanks. I think I'm going to go for twice a week then.

I know there are a lot of parameters that go into planning for adequate volume and choice of exercises, but it would be really helpful if could tell me what you think of the following exercise selection and volume for my cutting phase:

Cardio: 3x per week (2x HIIT and 1 regular cardio 30 min slow run).

Lifting: all sets targeting 5 reps at 5RM weight. Note that I don't plan on working arms and calves per the advice in the HST ebook.

Monday:
Deadlifts 2 sets
Pulldown 2 sets
Row machine 1 set
Leg Press 3 sets
Barbell Bench press 3 sets
Shoulder dumbbell press 3 sets
Decline bench ab crunches with weight on my abs: 2 sets

Thursday:
Squats 2 sets
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 2 sets
Pulldown 2 sets
Row machine 2 sets
Barbell Bench press 3 sets
Shoulder dumbbell press 3 sets
Decline bench ab crunches with weight on my abs: 2 sets

Yes, twice a week is sufficient when cutting given enough volume and heavy enough load. I would still prefer to see it spread out among 3-4 days if possible though. An upper/lower split as I described would have you reduce the cardio down to twice a week and would keep you in protein synthesis for a full 36 hours longer than 3x a week fullbody with cardio 3x a week. However. I've done twice a week fullbody while cutting when I didn't have time for more sessions and it worked perfectly fine.

Back