Time under Tension

kidkurious

let say, for the squat: should the TUT for 5's and 10's be the same as the 15's?

for my next cycle, during the 10's and 5's, instead of adding sets to acquire enough TUT, I plan to simply stick to one set and perform it slow enough to get enough TUT as I did during the 1 set of 15's.

Would this be effective?

i wouldnt alter the speed on purpose, however i tend to rep a little slower when going heavy, to prevent injury and bad form.

I tend to try to go as fast as I can for the concentric part of a movement and then make sure I go at a speed that always allows me to use good form during the eccentric part; for lighter loads as in the 15s this will mean I get the reps done pretty quickly whereas during the 5s 'as fast as I can' will be a fair bit slower than it was during the 15s because the loads are heavy.

Moving a load quickly requires a higher power output than moving that same load slowly, even if the total work done is the same. In my book that's a good thing. If you are worried about momentum robbing your muscles of stress then you can try pausing briefly at the turnaround points in each movement. If you start your cycle with loads that are about 75% of your 15RMs, I think it's unlikely that you will ever be using loads so light that you can move them fast enough for momentum to be an issue.

Back