Tips and Advice

cwrigh5

Hey everybody,

Finally finishing out my week of bored and inactivity, and about to start another glorious HST training cycle. After coming off my last cycle I felt that I missed out on the benefits of high reps and volume I use to get with other programs. I use to made excellent gains this way and always felt like it gave a great pump. But after doing the same routine for so long I decided to switch it up and give HST a try. So far I'm loving it, and seen great gains from it. But now after hearing all the hype about high volume, I want to give another go at it.

Routine:

Squats
Bench
Bent rows
Dips
Lats
Military
Deads

Doing 2 sets of 15, 3 sets of 10 and 5 sets of 5.

I thought 5 sets for the 5's would be better then 6 or 7 sets, especially since how heavy the 5's are.

Any comments, advice, criticism, tips, Im all ears javascript:emoticon('
smile.gif
')
smilie

Thanks again everyone, I know Im in good hands.

You could play with frequency also/instead , I think the main lesson I've learned from HST is that frequency and load progression are the most crucial parameters , volume should (IMHO) be adjusted to maximize these two factors and never at their expense.
smile.gif

Could get pretty brutal towards the ends of the mesocycles; you'll just have to cut some sets if you need to. I'd say that since there are different benefits for differing rep ranges, I would really try to keep the weights going up in the fives, regardless of how many sets you can successfully get done. I did the 15's and 10's as you've stated, but never tried 5x5 with HST. It's really a good plan.
Clustering is okay, but I don't see the benefit of clustering fives. I just keep the weight increases and let the reps drop as they will...sometimes getting more reps in a later set after failing earlier. That's not a principle though, just my way.

Back