Tips on Chest Please

nipponbiki

Hello everyone.

As u may remember from my last thread, first cycle after a year layoff (discovered HST last year and completed 2 cycles)

Over the last 2 weeks my arms have gained 2.4 cm. For that matter, my shoulder measurement has also increased about 3 cm. That would be the last week of 10s and the first week of 5s.

While this is great, my chest measurement hasn't changed at all, making my naturally large/wide shoulder/arm-chest balance worse every week.

So, I have decided to stop isos for the arms for the time being, but what can I do to get my chest going?

Current routine as it relates to chest:

Morning Workout (Sat-Mon-Wed)

Weighted Dips 3 sets @ 5 reps
Pullovers 2 sets @ 5 reps

Evening Workout (Sat-Mon-Wed)

Incline Bench 3 sets @ 5 reps
DB Flyes on Bench 2 sets @ 5 reps

Appreciate all feedback!!!

To be honest, you seem to be doing the best chest exercises already. You could substitute Pullovers with a regular Bench Press.

I quit barbells and started using D/B's for my incline bench. But as was suggested to me, I do a "press/flye" movement, by holding the weight out from the body, with the palms facing each other and "flyepressing" them up to a bit short of the top (keeping the load on the pecs).
As a "smallchester" myself, this is the first thing that worked to put on some MEAT up there, even if it's only an inch! My alternate exersize is the weighted dips, wide grip, head down. Good luck bro!

What are you doing for lats?  After all a good chunk of the chest measurement is back meat, not just pectorals!  I found my chest increased 1.5" in two months, and I was doing ONLY dumbell bench presses for pecs and weighted chins and dumbelll rows for lats.  Recently I added incline presses to the mix to hit my upper pecs a little better.  But I definitley recommend the press/flyes that Quadancer suggested, my pecs respond best to dumbell bench presses and I think that is because dumbells keep more tension on the pectorals compared to a barbell.

Honestly your routine has too much variety in it for my taste.  Try skipping the pullovers, etc.  Just do Heavy dumbell presses, and dips if you like.  And focus on getting your strength up.  I went from benching 65lb. dumbells to 75 lb. dumbells in the two months I put 1.5" on my chest and I didn't do any pullovers, flyes, dips, or barbell work.
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I am not doing the pullover as a chest exercise per se, but for overall upper body development and to hopefully expand the rib cage.

The dumbbell idea sounds great. Wish I could do that, but gyms in Japan really suck and the highest weight they have for dumbbells is between 25-30 kg depending on the gym.
(However, that would probably be enough for this cycle and the next)

Here is my total routine and exercises are done in the order listed:

AM (Sat-Mon-Wed)

Weighted Dips - 3 sets @ 5 reps
Deadlift w/ trap lift (Sat-Wed only) - 3 sets @ 5 reps
Squat (Mon only) - 3 sets @ 5 reps
Chins - 3 sets @ 5 reps (currently 2nd week of 5s and was able to finish 2 sets at bodyweight, last set slightly assisted; will do weighted as soon as is possible)

Pullovers - 2 sets @ 5 reps
Standing barbell twist - 1 set @ 15 reps (Sat only)
Hyperextensions - 1 set @ 10-15 reps (Mon only)
Rotator cuff exercise - 1 set @ 10 reps (not every time)

PM (Sat-Mon-Wed)

Incline Press - 3 sets @ 5 reps
Machine Row - 3 sets @ 5 reps
Leg Extension - 2 sets @ 8 reps (to strengthen the knees)
DB Flyes - 2 sets @ 5 reps
Crunch/Reverse Crunch - 2 sets @ 10 reps
Standing Shoulder Press - 2 sets @ 5 reps

At the end of today's AM workout, I did 1 set of DB incline presses - light weight @ 15 reps - for a metabolic set, not sure if this is going to help with hypertrophy or not.

I do feel my lats have widened a bit, but only when I flex. I take cold, unflexed measurements.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">At the end of today's AM workout, I did 1 set of DB incline presses - light weight @ 15 reps - for a metabolic set, not sure if this is going to help with hypertrophy or not.</div>

Probably not, but it will help you get used to the position of the hands and the ROM, which is a bit diffferent from db presses or flyes. And some guys I've seen use the 'palms facing' grip to do presses as well, but I feel it more by spreading the weights apart and trying to do a flye.  Doing them press style hits the triceps.
    Another trick with your limited weights is to do them in a true flye position...just spread them ALL the way out and keep the arms almost straight, all the way up, stopping short of the top. You will have just become your very own pec deck.

Back