Too much volume?

davomyster

I just started my second HST cycle and I'm wondering if I've picked too many exercises. I'm doing an A/B split, with one work set for each exercise for the 15's.

A:
Bench
Deadlift
Squat
Overhead press
Pendlay rows
Reverse Fly
EZ bar curls
Calf raises

B:
Bench
Deadlift
Squat
Overhead press
Chin ups
Straight arm pulldowns
EZ bar curls
Calf raises

The straight arm pulldowns and reverse flyes are recommended by my physical therapist to help recover from a torn labrum so that's why I crammed them into my HST plan. Is this too much volume? I plan on doing two sets for the 10's and 3 sets for the 5's.

That looks excellent to me, I would alternate squat and Deadlift, and only do one for each day, not both. Other than that it's a great exercise selection.

If it is too much volume, you will get overtrained and fatigued, lost strength, etc. if so, you can either drop some exercises and/or drop down to one or two sets per exercise.

You may find that, for the two exercises your therapist recommended, you would be better off keeping the reps high throughout your whole cycle, no fewer than 12-15. The purpose, after all, is rehab and, besides that, it is difficult to do them with much weight anyway. And do NOT max out or you may go backwards in your therapy. Light and smooth. And, by the way, there is nothing wrong with going beyond 15 reps when in rehab. Bryan's use of 15 reps in his program is not for rehab but for preventative maintenance.

One other alternative to what you described, which is a very good plan BTW, for the 5's you might consider doing is just 2 sets of 5 and then one set of 15's to keep the erk pathways open to growth. Some people call them finishing sets or metabolic sets but the rationale is still the same and, in my opinion, valid. Strength guys would argue against it but it is a good way to stimulate hypertrophy. It all depends on what your goals are.

Good luck!

O&G :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back