Total rep count vs. strict reps per set.

gbglifter

I decided to create a new thread so as not to hijack GreatScotts thread.

Ive been pondering all day over the idea of total reps per exercise and how to reach them.

I am currently doing my first mini-cycle which is 12RM´s or 70% or my 1RM. I do between 20 and 30 reps for these and always manage 12 reps on the first set of all exercises, sometimes even the second. I recently claimed that you need to hit your specific rep-range count on the first set, at least. Alex explained that its the total rep count for the specific load thats important. I started wondering if you could basically do as many reps as you like per set as long as you get to the total.

Im generally doing 2 sets of 12(sometimes an extra set of 6) to get to my total rep count. If I instead do 4 sets of 6, Im still getting to my total but with, I believe, less fatigue. The workout may take longer but it somehow feels that less energy will be expended doing less reps per set, thereby taxing your cns less during the cycle.

What are your thoughts? Some input from Alex would be nice.

Not Alex here :) But here are my 2 cents: with 12RM loads, you should probably get closer to the point of fatiguing your muscle, where rep cadence starts slowing down. You don't have to hit strict failure, but it's arguably more efficient to get close to it with such loads than to artificially stop at 6 reps when you can do 12. Otherwise how should your muscle realize you want it to grow, without you causing it measurable stress?

Not to change the subject but have you looked into Blade's myo reps? I am doing them this cycle on a full body 4-5 times per week schedule with undulating reps. They seem to fit into HST very nicely and allow me to get in more "effective" reps in much less time than doing, for example, 3 sets of 10's. Instead, I do 1 set of 10, rest 10 or so seconds then do a set at 1/3 of the volume or 3 reps at the same weight, rest 10 seconds again and then do 3 more reps. As the weight gets closer to my 10 RM, my rest time will have to increase a bit. I get the same approximate number of what is referred to as effective reps in about 1/3 the time. If the weight is still light compared to my 10 RM, I do more sets of 3's until I feel that I have worked the muscle sufficiently.

Following up on what Rihad said, it is not just the amount of work that is done but how it is done that causes muscle micro trauma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Alex here :) But here are my 2 cents: with 12RM loads, you should probably get closer to the point of fatiguing your muscle, where rep cadence starts slowing down. You don't have to hit strict failure, but it's arguably more efficient to get close to it with such loads than to artificially stop at 6 reps when you can do 12. Otherwise how should your muscle realize you want it to grow, without you causing it measurable stress?

Thats really in keeping with what Ive always thought: its not just the total reps but the amount in each set that counts. Ill just be continuing as per usual. I always hit my intended rep-count on the first set and subsequent sets CAN be clustered if you cant reach the rep target.

Not to change the subject but have you looked into Blade's myo reps? I am doing them this cycle on a full body 4-5 times per week schedule with undulating reps. They seem to fit into HST very nicely and allow me to get in more "effective" reps in much less time than doing, for example, 3 sets of 10's. Instead, I do 1 set of 10, rest 10 or so seconds then do a set at 1/3 of the volume or 3 reps at the same weight, rest 10 seconds again and then do 3 more reps. As the weight gets closer to my 10 RM, my rest time will have to increase a bit. I get the same approximate number of what is referred to as effective reps in about 1/3 the time. If the weight is still light compared to my 10 RM, I do more sets of 3's until I feel that I have worked the muscle sufficiently.

Following up on what Rihad said, it is not just the amount of work that is done but how it is done that causes muscle micro trauma.

I did some myo-reps towards the end of my last cycle for bi and legcurls. It certainly helped me feel the burn! I may try and incorporate them more later on next year.

Studies have indicated that loads around 70% of your RM are almost as effective as RM. Another approach to HST, which I have not seen used but I think may be plausible, is to start at your RM and do 70% of the reps that correspond to that RM. If your target reps are 15, that would come out to 70% of 15 or roughly 10 reps. Then you could do 3 sets if your target was 30 reps. Then each session, increase your rep count by 1 until you max out at your target of 15. Adjust your sets downward as needed to stay around 30 total reps so at 15 reps you would only need to do 2 sets. You may have to double up on some reps a few times to keep to a 2 week mini cycle but we sometimes do that with weights anyway.

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back