trading in leg presses for deads

jwbond

I decided to give leg presses a rest in the new cycle I started yesterday and replaced them with deads and machine leg ext.

My problem is my form on the deads was shakey and didn't feel confident. I know this can happen when you don't do a particular exercise for a bit, but I want to make sure I don't develop any bad habbits. Can anyone point me towards a good video or list of tips for performing a perfect dead lift?

PS - My hams, glutes, and back have some DOMs I haven't had in quite sometime!

Stuart McRoberts " The insiders Tell-all handbook on weight-training technique of the bench press , deadlift and squat" chapter 2 (deadlift) in convenient PDF-

http://usuarios.lycos.es/webfile....ift.pdf

smile.gif

It appears I hurt my upper back about 8 inches below my neck (on the vertebrae). Clearly I am not doing something right. I am going to try and use less weight until I get my form better...

Anyone have any idea on what I may have done wrong to hurt my upper-back?

If using deads as single source of lower developement - trap bars/shrug bars enable deads to approximate squats to a better degree. Might be a good investment if this is going to be a long term approach.
smile.gif

<div>
(jwbond @ Aug. 21 2007,19:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It appears I hurt my upper back about 8 inches below my neck (on the vertebrae).  Clearly I am not doing something right.  I am going to try and use less weight until I get my form better...

Anyone have any idea on what I may have done wrong to hurt my upper-back?</div>
This is unlikely but the only thing that springs to mind is that you are allowing your shoulders to drop forwards and rounding your upper back. Some lifters let their shoulders drop forwards intentionally but they do so only after a lot of experience with the lift as it allows for a slightly reduced range of motion.

Rounding your upper back is a no-no.

Back