train like a hunter gatherer

Uhmmmmmmmm

I am hoping that he is trying to distinguish the difference between aerobic and anaerobic cause if he thinks that ATP is only used during short vigorous activity then he is wrong.

20 years ago all the experts were out stating that aerobic excercise was pretty much the solution to keeping people healthy. Now all the experts are stating that aerobic excercise is bad. It will be interesting to see what it's like in 20 years time.

The guy overtrained which caused the injuries. There is absolutely no reason that somebody cannot do a moderate amount of aerobic excercise and gain some satisfaction from it, plus it does burn calories.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Jul. 10 2007,21:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wouldn't say internet guru's are expert at anything</div>
Incorrect. They are expert at writing articles with enough pseudo rationality and pseudo fact content to start entire online movements. They're watered down modern digital versions of Hitler in fact. Instead of Mein Kampf they write Mein Deadlift or Mein Full Body Workout, get some clueless followers who are good at following orders and proceed to try and take over the whole fitness world.

i stand corrected

laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Instead of Mein Kampf they write Mein Deadlift or Mein Full Body Workout, get some clueless followers who are good at following orders and proceed to try and take over the whole fitness world. </div>

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

And then although he has a point about long winded aerobics (I never thought these were good anyway), and yes we have seen the benefits of HIIT and Tabata waaaay back, he's as Dan puts it somewhat &quot;confudled&quot; about the whole ATP mechanism.

Lastly...he forgot to add that resitance training coup[led with HIIT is the best possible combination for a helthy and strong body!

I like the several of the guys points. I'm not an expert on the science behind it, but I agree that lots of cardio is for homos. Does Richard Simmons really look like he's in that good of shape to you?

Also, the guy's recap lists the benefits of low level aerobic training and the benefits of HIIT, but these same benefits are present for strength training, correct (well, except maybe for increasing aerobic capacity), with the added benefit of having a larger penis (ok, I added that last part, but if true, it would explain why so many females are averse to the idea of strength training)?

this is just silliness.

its all about goals

the amount and duration of INTENSE cardio exer. hes using as his basis obviously comes from folks engaged in cardio sport (cycling, triathlon, running etc). dedication to those pursuits obviously isnt the ideal breeding ground for lbm gain, overall health, long life etc etc. not to say you wont derive benefits from trying to be the best runner you can be (stronger heart, bigger, more efficient cardio system) but they come with downsides (possible/eventual arthritis, weakened immune system during training, narrow focus of actual abilities).

he claims that 20+ yrs of intense training to reach a natl level left him debilitating conditions at the age of 28. ill let you do the math on that one but perhaps his training methods and ideologies were poor to begin with so simply changing them 180 degrees doesnt necc. make them right. if perhaps he did reach a natl level for competition then i do believe some of the breakdowns he is claiming can actually happen. we all dont get to go to the olympics just because we want too. 1000s are striving to reach that level and only a precious few have the luck, talent, fortitude/attitude and resilience (mental and physical) to make it. guess what happens to the rest?

if you want good overall health then lift some wgts, do some cardio, eat right etc etc.

if you want to win the local road race this weekend try that formula out and see how far it gets you.

ive competed in endurance running and cycling competitions in my younger days and yes i has arthritis in my knees and ankles. ive also had 2 collapsed lungs and some signifigant muscle imbalances (leg) from those pursuits. perhaps id be healthier if i aspired to be joe avg. and do a little of everything but not too much of anything but even knowing that i would change much.

personally thats no way to live or approach a sport you love but....... you have to have folks who are happy finishing 55th or 183rd or 477th otherwise there would be anything special about winning.

Training and competing are not the same. We could train exactly like we compete but we couldn't keep it up for very long. On the other hand, we could train once in a while exactly like we compete to gauge our progress. Like most lifters do normally. 1RM comes to mind. Few lift heaviest every workout. Those that do don't last long.

Seems to me the author was training exactly like he was competing and burned out. He was going for his 1RM every workout. I think he got the wrong conclusions from his experience. Perhaps because he got the wrong assumptions to begin with. He still got something good going after all so it's no big deal.

Gator

That's exactly right, and it is true as well, the initial research of Tabata, actually showed improvement of one's VO2 Max, which is the capacity to absorb oxygen.

He's article is pretty self explanatory and makes darn good sense, I can look at asn example we have in South Africa, an athlete that won the comrades marathon (a 98 Km run) 5 times,but when you look at him today he looks way older than his age, don't know how's his heart, arthritis and so forth, but I have also heard older men who used to run a lot of long distance having to go for hip replacement ops and so forth.

I maintain, Tabat or other HIIT and weights or at least body weight resistance exercise is the formula for health and longevity, just look at guys like Pax Beale, Dr.Len Schwartz, Don Tucker and &quot;gals&quot; like Kelly Nelson and Jackie Lee, they're ageless.
wink.gif

I've been thinking about this hunter gatherer idea. It almost seems like Slapz' routine is almost spot-on this concept... and seems as if he's had some good success in strength. For it seems as if he goes max or near max effort every workout, in almost a short burst of energy for each exercise. I'm not trying to start a riot on another &quot;if it works for him, it'll work for everyone&quot; post, but it certainly seemed interesting to me.

Back