Training 2 days in a row

HST_Rihad

Hi, folks. Due to the upcoming new year holidays gyms will be closed this Su, Mo & Tu. I can do my 4th 5's workout today, following yesterday's 3rd w/o. And then go on normally on Wd. Has anyone tried it? That's about 24 hour rest. Won't my genetic expression screw me up? :) I'm ready to go soon.

Pretty much nothing will happen. I used to do that on occasion, it's no big deal. As long as you have a couple days off afterward, you aren't going to overtrain or get overly fatigued. Just make sure you eat plenty.

What king of mamby-pamby, pink dumbell, plilate type gym closes Sun, Mon and Tues? Time for a move, Son!

BTW, this type of training closely relates to two-a-days or am/pm splits suggested for optimizing HST. With the sole purpose of increasing volume. So that's basically what I did, barring the progressive load increase.

Are you having to workout 2 days in a row often...or this just a once in a while situation?

If its just once in a while I dont see a problem with it...but if its often I wouldn't recommend full body on back to back training days...again every once in a whilee it wont hurt but I wouldn't recommend doing its every week and etc...

No, of course not, as I wrote I had to do that because of the holidays. That was the first time I did something like this in 3 years, apart from ending cycles prematurely for various reasons.

Are you having to workout 2 days in a row often...or this just a once in a while situation?

If its just once in a while I dont see a problem with it...but if its often I wouldn't recommend full body on back to back training days...again every once in a whilee it wont hurt but I wouldn't recommend doing its every week and etc...

I can promise you there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing 6x full-body per week so long as the volume is moderated to accommodate the increase in frequency.

Working muscles twice in a 24hr period is completely 'normal' for the human body. When did the counter-myth reemerge?

I can promise you there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing 6x full-body per week so long as the volume is moderated to accommodate the increase in frequency.

Working muscles twice in a 24hr period is completely 'normal' for the human body. When did the counter-myth reemerge?

i love the idea of this, but how about connective tissue / joint stress? it's already pretty tough to do 3 heavy full body routines a week when the poundage is high. i couldn't imagine what the last week of 5s would be like doing just 1 set of heavy squats/deadlifts to failure 6 days a week, or even at the less extreme 1-2 reps shy of failure. for upper body i think my elbows would get thrown over the edge

Don't do single joint exercises at a high frequency and you should be fine. High frequency better lends itself to either abbreviated routines focusing on compounds or splits. By splits, I do not mean typical one muscle group a day splits, I mean something like upper/lower, push/pull, etc. A good high frequency routine, in my opinion, is Squats, Dips, Chins, or something along those lines. Even Squats, Dips, Chins one day and Squats, Incline bench, Row on the other day.

i love the idea of this, but how about connective tissue / joint stress? it's already pretty tough to do 3 heavy full body routines a week when the poundage is high. i couldn't imagine what the last week of 5s would be like doing just 1 set of heavy squats/deadlifts to failure 6 days a week, or even at the less extreme 1-2 reps shy of failure. for upper body i think my elbows would get thrown over the edge

Well a serious enough lifter to do 6x full body is probably taking some mix of fish oil and glucosamine.

I can't imagine any circumstance, beyond negatives or rep-max testing that warrants going to failure.

Don't change the volume, merely redistribute it; instead of 2 sets on the back each session, you're doing 1 set, twice as often (or halving the # of exercises).

Don't do single joint exercises at a high frequency and you should be fine. High frequency better lends itself to either abbreviated routines focusing on compounds or splits. By splits, I do not mean typical one muscle group a day splits, I mean something like upper/lower, push/pull, etc. A good high frequency routine, in my opinion, is Squats, Dips, Chins, or something along those lines. Even Squats, Dips, Chins one day and Squats, Incline bench, Row on the other day.

That last split is akin to something I used to do, but alternating squats and deads. At actual 5RM I would do it like this:

M: Squats, Incline, Chins
Tu: Deads, Dips, Rows
We: Incline, Chins
Th: Dips, Rows
F: Squats, Incline, Chins
Sa: Deads, Dips, Rows
Su: Sweet **** all

2 sets, not a rep more.

I did calf raises every day and if I felt a particular muscle group had worse endurance than it's opposing group then I would add an isolation exercise to assist in that regard.

After the 15s, lifting fatigue will probably not trouble you again, ever. The body adapts and your CNS will just fall into line.

Is it doable...yes...is it optimal NO.

To many factors to try to get right and IMO unless training is all you do in the everyday world there are to many variable to that you can mess up.

If I was going to train high frequency there are WHOLE lot of better ways to train daily than full body workouts. Especially if you are looking for hypertrophy. You simply can't specialize every muscle group everyday day.

So if you want to get better at squatting..then you can squat daily and get better at it...but IMO working the entire body everyday is not the best approach.

There are many articles written about this.

Here is just one.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-frequency-for-mass-gains.html

Last edited:
So if you want to get better at squatting..then you can squat daily and get better at it
Getting better at something is probably related to strength/endurance and no so much muscle hypertrophy. Occlusion training has them train with 20-50% 1RM loads and experience dramatic muscle gains under oxygen deprivation from blood. With traditional everyday full body training we should consider the risk of CNS burnout if load/volume is high.

Well a serious enough lifter to do 6x full body is probably taking some mix of fish oil and glucosamine.

I can't imagine any circumstance, beyond negatives or rep-max testing that warrants going to failure.

Don't change the volume, merely redistribute it; instead of 2 sets on the back each session, you're doing 1 set, twice as often (or halving the # of exercises).

That last split is akin to something I used to do, but alternating squats and deads. At actual 5RM I would do it like this:

M: Squats, Incline, Chins
Tu: Deads, Dips, Rows
We: Incline, Chins
Th: Dips, Rows
F: Squats, Incline, Chins
Sa: Deads, Dips, Rows
Su: Sweet **** all

2 sets, not a rep more.

I did calf raises every day and if I felt a particular muscle group had worse endurance than it's opposing group then I would add an isolation exercise to assist in that regard.

After the 15s, lifting fatigue will probably not trouble you again, ever. The body adapts and your CNS will just fall into line.

Also to add consider this.

If you are growing then by all means keep doing what working.

But if you are not...I would look at a couple of things one being your calories surplus....is the high frequency training causing you to have to eat more to grow?

Also you can distribute volume out ...but really is that the best approach to hypertrophy? IMO its not. Although I don't think you need to go crazy with the volume I do think espcially with expierenced lifters that there is something to be said about the "right now effect" of hypertrophy? You have to consider that for more advanced or volume tollerant trainees there seems to be a threshold of minimal volume one has to get to to create a more optimal hypertrophy response.

Looking at the studies it tells us 30 to 60 reps at least twice a week is the answer. There are exceptions look at DC training....myo-reps...etc...but for a straight set approach I would shoot for the lower end of that volume on 3 days a week and work my way up...but I wouldn't think that 2 sets of 5 reps is going to be optimal for hypertrophy even training full body 6 days a week.

Just my opinion though...:D

Last edited:
I agree that doing what works is absolutely the best way to gain size. However, I'm not sure the available studies are anywhere near specific enough or even designed effectively to give us any sort of pragmatic result right now. Until previously trained subjects are used and diet accommodated for, they're only 'surface useful'. This is why programs like DC or myo-reps look like 'exceptions', when the would-be-rule is smack bang in the middle of those approaches (essentially). You usually don't get exceptions that work in opposite directions.

6x (or 5x) obviously requires more food.

The argument for high frequency training centres around protein synthesis spikes and whether or not it's possible to keep those spiking.

Is it optimal? Horses for courses. Some of the biggest guys I know train 5x, others 2x. I don't think 5-6x in any way is *bad* for a trainee though.

Good points Alex!

Werboms analysis looked at 70 different studies. But I don't know if all those studies were on trained or untrained lifters.

As for me I just always try to get in 30 reps for upper body movements and even more for lowerbody movements and that type volume will not allow me to lift full body daily.

Back