training 2x week w/split vs 3x wk full body

Omega_man

Hey everyone,
I'd like some feed back on doing each body part 2x a week with a split instead of 3x with a full body workout.
It would be:
M, Th: Chest (tri's), Shoulders
Tu, Fri: Back (Bi's), Legs, Calves
Wed, Sat, Sun off.
This would be the only change to my HST routine.

I am curious if doing more per workout hitting each body part 2x a week would be better (or at least a change) than 3. The frequency would be reduced, allowing for more volume per workout. Also, I feel coming into the Tues, Fri workout my body would be 100% fresh to start with either back or legs.

Thanks for any opinions.

O

O

I am going to probably do the same for my next cycle.

I'll keep it simple but will do:

15 x 2/10 x 3/ 5 x 6

Iso's will be as the mood goes.
laugh.gif

It sounds good on paper.

Im sure it would work good.

It just seems today higher frequency is what everyone is preaching (not just HST)

I actually am doing a different workout right now than HST and it good to do something different. However I am still following the principals of frequency and progressive load.

<div>
(Fausto @ Jul. 19 2006,03:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">O

I am going to probably do the same for my next cycle.

I'll keep it simple but will do:

15 x 2/10 x 3/ 5 x 6

Iso's will be as the mood goes.
laugh.gif
</div>
Thx Fausto &amp; Joe,
First I concidered an Am/Pm split 3x week as an ideal way to allow for more recovery prior to hitting legs/back, but for me, it would be hard to maintain that type of schedule.
My biggest concern in doing my proposed split was that I would be giving up my &quot;rest &amp; recovery&quot; day after w/o days (M &amp; Th) that I get from the basic HST. Do you think that since there will be 2 sets of two consecutive w/o days (M, Tu &amp; Th, Fr) and that there will be more volume on those days, that I should make any adjustments to diet (re. caloric intake, etc..)

Also, to balance my time out I was thinking of moving shrugs from shoulders over to do with back (Tu &amp; Fr). In doing this split, I am taking care not to allow a muscle to be hit directly one day, then indirectly the next day.

Thx,
O

My experience has been that that type of split works best for me when doing a 5X5 strength routine. 3 to 4 workouts per week work best for me when trying for hypertrophy.

im on a similar routine now 2x per week per body part added volume and i love it,i train mon wed fri sat(1 set per bp as apposed to 2).

i think when you start getting heavy on the poundages full body 3x per gets too grooling unless just doing one set throughout,which imo isnt enough.

I dont know what to say..
laugh.gif

I think Old and grey said it best though....if you are going to do 4 days a week do it with heavy weights like 5x5.

I would up my calories on those days as well.

From a recovery standpoint you should be good to go.

Not really sure about ilcars comment on 3 x a week full body being too much.

I am currently doing full body with heavy and light days 4 days a week.

Mon Wed Sat Sunday.

I am only doing 3 sets per muscle group.

I have got really lean by doing this....as matter fact I dont have to watch my diet as much on this schedule.

From my expierence any good sound routine will provide good muscle gains as long as there is a calorie surplus.

<div>
(lcars @ Jul. 19 2006,14:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">im on a similar routine now 2x per week per body part added volume and i love it,i train mon wed fri sat(1 set per bp as apposed to 2).....</div>
Icars,
If you don't mind, could you post your current routine. This will give an idea of volume, etc.
I'm glad others here see a value in this type of routine.
I agree on the &quot;heavy&quot; weights 3x a wk esp during the 5's &amp; post 5's. On my last cycle it wore on me a bit. I might do the 3x a wk for the 15's &amp; maybe the 10's but then transition into the 2x when reaching the 5's on so on.

Thx,
Omega

the only problem i can see with that split is that doing all pushing on the same day ie chest tris shoulders, is that would you fatigue the pushing muscles before they get a good workout,and the same on the pulling day .
whereas with a pushpull workout the muscles are getting a longer break inbetween sets.
i dont want to put you of but maybe you will have to use less weight to do this.maybe not
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Omega_man @ Jul. 19 2006,17:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(lcars @ Jul. 19 2006,14:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">im on a similar routine now 2x per week per body part added volume and i love it,i train mon wed fri sat(1 set per bp as apposed to 2).....</div>
Icars,
If you don't mind, could you post your current routine. This will give an idea of volume, etc.
I'm glad others here see a value in this type of routine.
I agree on the &quot;heavy&quot; weights 3x a wk esp during the 5's &amp; post 5's. On my last cycle it wore on me a bit. I might do the 3x a wk for the 15's &amp; maybe the 10's but then transition into the 2x when reaching the 5's on so on.

Thx,
Omega</div>
well ive been doing:

monday
chest 2 sets incline
2 sets dec
2 sets flat
shoulders
2 sets military
2 sets rear laterals
2 sets side laterals
back
1 set deads
2 sets rows
2 sets chins/pull-downs
wednesday

legs
2 sets squats
2 sets leg press
2 sets lunges
2 sets calves
arms
3 sets bi's
3 sets tri's i change exercises each cycle for arms

friday is a repeat of monday
and due to the heavy leg session i do a repeat of wednesday but only 1 set per exercise.

What is your results with this routine?
I'm going to try it now.

Omega_man and Icars could you tell me your best routine?
I saw your pictures and I have to say you both look super.
Have you been training HST all time?
Do your best gains come from HST or other systems?

You would pretty much have a little more time to recover so you will notice better strength gains. I did this and increased my bench 10 pounds every 5-6 days.

Back