Training mystic

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_domineaux
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_domineaux

Recently, one thing that has always been difficult for me has been how little time I actually spend training HST. 1-1/4 max time in the gym every other day. Think about that 3-3/4 hours per week and my training is paying off.
I need to repeat that..... 3-3/4 hours per week.

I remember when I was dumb butt training before HST I would spend that much time at the gym six days a week and not getting the results I'm getting with HST 3-3/4 hours of training per week.

I quit the every day HST workouts about 9 months ago, and I've had much better progress on every other day workouts. I now do a full body workout every other day. Sure the full body workout is tough, but it's over in an hour and 15 minutes max.

I did upper body three days and lower body the other three days when I did HST six days a week. Results were kick tail to start, but I wasn't getting enough rest.. .working and all. The results actually began to be negligible.

Now I'm training HST every other day and not on Sunday. On the days I'm NOT training my body is so perked and energized. Yet, here I sit picking on the keyboard.

I've thought about going back to every day with the Upper/lower body split again. Yet, I'm in the 7th week of the 5s and still adding weight every week to my previous best. I can't knock it, because I'm definitely
getting results.

-----------------------------------------

Some of my thoughts

I thinking the reason I wasn't getting results with the every day training was I was running down physically. I can probably blame alot of it on lack of rest, but I also think as a natural bodybuilder there is a kind of wall you hit. By wall I mean... you can't take enough nutrition and rest to keep it up for prolonged periods of time.

That's where Juice becomes a factor I guess. I don't intend to go there for sure.

I thought I'd share this, because I know I'm not alone in this. Possibly some of you with experience with this could share some workarounds you did. I'm not in a race or anything to be a Mr. Olympia. I'm just thinking about all this waste of energy, motivation and physical ability.

Maybe, I should take on a six day training next cycle, then drop back to everyother day the following cycle.

Course, I don't have any idea when I'm going to SD. I'm still adding weight over each weeks training in the 5s. I'm full of energy, no joint discomfort, sleeping like a baby and eating like a draft horse. LOL

I've thought... I'm in a great place, with a body that responds well enough to food and rest. I just don't feel like I'm giving my training It's all

Share your thoughts... I'm listening. If you haven't experienced this kind of issues, please don't speculate and give me wild ass guesses or some other home grown expert nonsense ideas.

Thanks

I see Nelson busy flapping his gums...oh sorry he ain't got no gums
laugh.gif

Going with your thoughts, I think you're correct...there's a limit to a natural trainer, and yep I think rest was your issue...maybe a little overtraining too!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe, I should take on a six day training next cycle, then drop back to everyother day the following cycle.</div>

This type of cycling could end up working for you.

Funny I have been doing twice p/ week and it seems to be working for me, can't say I have grown tremendously but sure looks like it! Go figure!
rock.gif

i think you have the right idea......youre in the best position to judge.

like you found out with the 6day a week routine, sometimes things work great.....for a while (cycle or 2) and then....not so much. same might be true for your current program. sounds like its working great for you right now so keep at it as long as you feel comfortable with it. perhaps even go another cycle or two, who know how long before you dont see quite the same gains. at that point re-evaluate and go the direction you think is best.

i hear what your saying about &quot;not doing all i can&quot; when it comes to indiv. workouts but it sounds like you are quite different from me (from this and the other thread) in that the increased freq. (3x a week instead of 1x) usually provided the fatigue rather then the indiv. w/o. again i think that just goes to show how personal exper. is going tto be your best guide as time goes on.

good luck

Very interesting (to me) topic . The longer I train (20 some years now) the further I've been forced  to &quot;zoom out&quot; in my view of planned training time to keep gains coming. A noob can get away with planning week to week or even (with some common sense) workout to workout . An intermediate can be fine planning cycle to cycle , but at an advanced level you can waste a lot of time running to standstill if you don't plan with an eye towards 6 months or so at a time(IME).
                 Alternating phases not only within the cycles (ex:HST - metabolic phase{15's}, hypertrophy phase{10's}, and strength phase {5's}), but also alternating the priority of cycles and movements over time. At this point in my life I no longer compete (PLing) so I am free from the restraints of having to peak at certain times and can plan strictly for continued , gradual progression .
                  I find that  mapping out a long-term (6 mo's- year) plan of goals and steps that will result in achieving those goals as well as micro-managing the cycles , weeks and workouts , seems to become more and more benificial the closer to your genetic limit you are working. IMHO.
smile.gif

Also as a general trend I've noticed bringing intensity up while lowering volume vs. raising volume , at lower intensity alternated about 2 to 1 (in favor higher intensity) in terms of cycle focus seems to &quot;slingshot&quot; me past most points if planned wisely.

Have you tried an A/B routine? I found that changing from:

DL
Bench
Pull Ups
Squat
Dips
Rows
Military Press
\\every time I lift, to:

A
Squat
Bench
Pull Up
Upright Row

B
DL
Dip
Row
Military Press

Has been absolutely great for me.

I think it has a lot to do with recovery.

I'm doing what Etothpeii said, and, despite it seeming like an absurdly low volume compared to the program i was formerly on (that of a college football team that my friend who I train with is on) I just blew past by PR's on the 15's.  It's amazing what a little rest and planned progression will do.

i have just started my 2nd cycle, i am doing an A &amp; B full body type workout three times a week and am loving it.

i have found the schedule not only suits me but work and family commitments, i dont train for BB or PL, just for myself.

<div>
(CrazyJoeDavola @ Sep. 12 2007,18:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm doing what Etothpeii said, and, despite it seeming like an absurdly low volume compared to the program i was formerly on (that of a college football team that my friend who I train with is on) I just blew past by PR's on the 15's.  It's amazing what a little rest and planned progression will do.</div>
Volume seemed low to me too, so I have done 2x15, 3x10, and 6x5 throughout the cycle. Weeks after the 5s, and into new, heavier territory, I may only do 3x5 or 4x5 of various lifts.

I'm doing almost the exact same A/B split routine as etothepii and I'm just about finished week 4 and it's worked great for me. I too have upped the volume as a result of the reduced number of exercises though to 2x15, 3x10, 6x5. So far I have been able to handle the 3x10 just fine on the upperbody compounds, I'm doing 2x10 - and plan on doing 4x5 - on the lowerbody compounds (squats/DL's). And who every said simplifying doesn't work?
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Volume seemed low to me too, so I have done 2x15, 3x10, and 6x5 </div>

I did 2 x 15, 2 x 10, 3 x5, 2 x5, 2 weeks each and got great results.

Back