Training or Nutrition problem? (or both)

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_homerj
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_homerj

Hi everyone,

I've been training with HST for half a year and I made some decent gains in the beginning. When I started, my routine was really too much to be honest - up until now I completed about 4 cycles (each one a little different). I've been reading through all the articles and forum posts and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) I have come up with something that suits me. But right now I'm just staying on approx. 70kg +/- 1kg.

Routine
* Training 3x per week. Alternating A/B for 2 weeks/6 sessions then decrease reps/increase sets.
* 15s: 1 set per exercise.
* 10s: 2 sets per exercise.
* 5s: 3 sets per exercise.
* 3s if I feel up to it with up to 5 sets per exercise (no more isolation exercises).
* SD 1-2 Weeks.
* Max time per work-out 1hr.

A
Bench Press
Dips
Shoulder Press
Lateral Raise (1 set only)
Shrugs
Chins
Bent-over Rows
Squat
Calve Raises

B
Incline Press
Decline Press
Shoulder Press
Rear Delt Raise
Shrugs
Lat Pull-Down
Bent-over Rows
Dead Lift
Calve Raises

+Abs on every training A & B.
If I feel underworked I add biceps & triceps isos in B.

Nutrition
Apparently I should be eating up to 3500 calories on work-out days, but I hardly ever reach that due to time constraints and lack of money. I eat about 4/5 meals a day.

I try to stick to a 30% Protein 50% Carbs 20% Fats diet. I get close to my ratios, but most of my days I only get up to 2500 calories or so (and I feel overfed still). If I eat more I see my BF percentage increase faster than I'd like.

If anyone has some sound suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks.

Could you add some more good fats and oils into your diet? If you try to ensure you are getting a good 1g protein per lb body weight, adding oils and fats is a good way to boost cals without having to consume a whole lot more. Eg. add some whole milk, eggs and olive oil. Nuts are high in fats but they are more expensive.

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 19 2008,10:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Could you add some more good fats and oils into your diet? If you try to ensure you are getting a good 1g protein per lb body weight, adding oils and fats is a good way to boost cals without having to consume a whole lot more.</div>
Olive oil has 120 calories per tablespoon.
Peanut butter has 95 calories per tablespoon.

The judicious addition of a bit of fat to your diet may help you to get the caloric surplus you need in order to grow. Otherwise all your work doesn't produce much muscle...  
sad.gif

Thanks. I'll try to add even more. I recently found a shop where I could buy 1kg of cashew-nuts quite cheaply. Been eating 28g of nuts with my protein/fat meal (meal before going to bed). I will add a tablespoon of olive oil to my breakfasts (just realized that my breakfast is almost all carbs/protein).

And I'll probably also try to eat twice as much for my pre/post workout meal (mostly carbs and protein thou).

Back