Training to failure

sayw0rd

Lately I've been doing some research on training to failure. I'm in my 10s 2week cycle and the weights seems alright but I know I can pump a few more reps into the sets thing is I don't know if it's something I should do.

What are your thoughts on training to failure?

btw - Happy holidays
smile.gif

I dunno, I'm no labcoat, but it seems to me the few extra reps you might get aren't worth frying your CNS. Your muscles would be ready to lift again profitably in 36 - 48 hours. A fried CNS might take a week.

The last workout of the 2nd week of the 10s, should be close to failure. Same with the 15s and 5s. So, if you are not on the last workout of any 2-week period, it is normal that you feel capable of cranking a few more reps.

I slow my tempo time on the negative portion of all exercises so that I am working close to but under failure on all sets within a rep range. My last rep may last anywhere from 2 seconds to 15 seconds depending on how close to my "normal-speed" failure point that I am working and how much I slowed my previous reps down. HST does require this but it just "feels better" to my system. However, I am also keeping my volume low, no more than 28 to 32 total sets per week, and my frequency a bit low, twice per week for each body part, as that seems to work best for me at my age. This system probably would be detrimental if you worked a bodypart more than 3 times per week, no matter what your age, unless you are chemically enhanced.

I also slow down the tempo of my negative portions of all exercises. Around 2-4secs. is how slow I go down, great burn!

My advice. Going to failure once every 2 weeks is fine. Sometimes its good to push yourself just to get over that mental block/plateau. I believe Bryan even says he goes to failure sometimes, or at least he did in posts from way back. Don't be afraid to push yourself sometimes, but on that same note don't be afraid to take an extra days rest if you need it too.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Nov. 30 2008,9:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan the link takes me to the FYI thread?

Maybe I am confused but I thought you were posting a journal link?

Thanks!</div>
Training to failure is in the FAQs, specifically here so I'm sure that's the point of the &quot;journal&quot;.

<div>
(ZKD @ Dec. 01 2008,12:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Training to failure is in the FAQs, specifically here so I'm sure that's the point of the &quot;journal&quot;.</div>
Not only does reviewing the FAQ help answer a lot of questions posted here, but I find it to be a great source of motivation for continued improvement.  I spent some time reviewing it over the weekend and was really intriqued with the topic of hyperplasia.  Of course, that's a subject which remains with seemingly more questions than answers.

My opinion is the same as Sun Tsu's, failure only once every two weeks any more than this you risk frying your CNS sooner or later, but fry it will
wow.gif

Unless of course, you're hormonally enhanced, and I don't mean with PH's. I was doing Old &amp; Grey's routine and graduated slowly to a PL routine, but my conditioning has started to stink, although I'm as strong as ever. It's all a matter of age, type of program, and goals.
I believe the O.P. meant with HST, so I'd say a re-reading of the articles and Faq's is in order; nothing has changed.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Nov. 30 2008,9:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan the link takes me to the FYI thread?

Maybe I am confused but I thought you were posting a journal link?

Thanks!</div>
BTW this Journal's full title is <span style='color:Red'>American Journal of Asked and Answered Questions Regarding Hypertrophy Specific Training</span>.

Sorry about my misguided humor, I just thought that this topic had been discussed before ohhhhhhhh maybe 2000 times or so.

Back