TUT & Intensity

jwbond

Earlier this year I made the swtich from HST to a more traditional BBing version of HST. I've been working with a natrual BBer that has his procard and has been in game for many years.

When I first started with him I noticed that I was moving just as much weight or more on some movements as him, but he had MUCH better muscle development.

Since working with him, I have been concentrating more on TUT with a goal of fatiguing the muscle rather than moving the weight w/ a contraction at the top of each movement.

Thus far, I have only been cutting so I can't say that I have packed on the LBM as of yet. Hopefully I will do so in Feb. However, I can say that my strength is still good after months of cutting and I enjoy my routine more now that I get a GREAT pump.

What do the HST vets have to say about the importance of TUT, concentration on each muscle group, and a good pump?

I have read in the past on the HST boards that pump is NOT important...but there certainly has to be some data to prove that TUT is important, right?

TUT/TUL is an important factor in hypertrophy but only inasmuch as it relates to the load being used - some signalling proteins are turned on through a combination of time and tension (see FAQs on Determining No. of Sets). Often, the problem with heavier loads (5RM and above) is that it can be hard for a conditioned trainer to get enough TUT for an optimal PS response because fatigue gets in the way. So, techniques have been devised to keep fatigue as low as possible (eg. Dan Moore's Max-Stim) while allowing heavy loads to be lifted for more reps in a session. This ensures that signalling from the mechanical stress is at a maximum. And, of course, there's SD specifically to address the problem of conditioning to load.

Anyway, read the FAQ linked above as Blade went into all this in a fair bit of detail.

As far as your mate's muscle development compared to yours is concerned, you can only really make a direct comparison with loads moved if you have identical physiology/anthropometry.

Well Lol is right, he's stating just a hypertrophy principle that can add to your muscle development jwbond which is TUT/TUL.. Another one that you have to be aware of is the genetics, oh yeah is a VERY VERY important factor in bodybuilding and with any other programs out there even HST.. You mentioned that your training partner which is a natural bodybuilder that you also move the same weights that he does but has better muscular mass and development.. Well that is not surprising for there are some people who had greater genetics, one which is better than us, and they can build more muscle efficiently despite the program they are using.. This is not to say that HST is ineffective in its nature because really it is effective, YES I love the program and its principles and I put my faith into it.. Now, going back to the natural bodybuilder dude that you mentioned which had a better muscular development than you are even though you're just lifting the same weights, he probably has better and more superior genetics than yours and there's nothing wrong with that.. I myself doesn't have good genetics, one good example is me who is benching around 180 to 190 for around 5 to 6 reps in our local gym in the Philippines, this another guy in our gym of course can only bench roughly around 150 to 160 for 2 to 3 reps I think, but surprisingly he had a better chest development that I am in terms of mass, fullness, and symmetry, why is that so? That's because of genetics of course which is God given.. Key point here our form are the same, controlled fashion slow on the eccentric and fast and explosive on the concentric.. So instead of comparing your gains with others, the take home lesson of the story is to focus on your gains, your program which is HST.. As for my part I love HST for it gave me better gains, I mean superior in regards to my genetic capacity, and I don't compare my gains to others, I love the program for it WORKS no BS, I don't find a hard time following it.. As for myself, I follow the program with faith, if the need arises I try to modify it which is for now I follow the Simplify and Win HST program compared to before that im doing 12 exercises for the whole body, and lastly I look forward to building more muscle and strength through this program.. Much respect bro and good luck..
biggrin.gif

Again so to summarize it all up, stick to the principles, have a good feel about the current program that your'e using which is HST, modify a bit if the need arises as long as its not messing up with the program's principles, stay focused and develop a faith on what you're doing.. By doing that you're unlocking the best gains of your life..

<div>
(jwbond @ Dec. 23 2008,10:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Since working with him, I have been concentrating more on TUT with a goal of fatiguing the muscle rather than moving the weight w/ a contraction at the top of each movement.</div>
jwbond, could you please post your routine?   i'm particularly interested in your rep ranges in reference to fatigue.

yah we also want to see your routine so we could evaluate and check it out.. if possible please specify on how you do it so everybody here could help you out..
smile.gif

jwbond,

I think what you are expierencing is great and it is the part of bodybuilding IMO that HST can't explain...sometimes those old school routines really do work.

However I think you do burnout on those before you know it and then you are right back as square one with were do I go from here.

Here is my opinon ...I think at some point HST 3 times a week is not ideal for an advanced lifter...unless they have all day long to train ( most do not).

This is were IMO something like Lyles bulking routine trumps 3 days a week.

Lyles routine gives you more sets / reps per workout with some heavy work as well as some bodybuilding fluff / metabolic sets.

Its sort of a meet you in the middle routine from HST to bodybuilding IMO.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Dec. 28 2008,10:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here is my opinon ...I think at some point HST 3 times a week is not ideal for an advanced lifter...unless they have all day long to train ( most do not).</div>
I agree with this statement! Especially for the older lifters as well. I noticed on my first two HST cycles that I either got hurt in the last half or overtrained and lost the great muscle gains I made in the first half!

Right now I am starting my 5's and am doing great. However, the change I made from the three days a week (being M-W-F), I now workout every third day.

In other words, my routine now looks like this:

MON - workout, total body
TUE - off
WED - off
THU - workout, total body
FRI - off
SAT - off
SUN - workout, total body
MON - off
Tue - off
WED - workout, total body

Etc...

This way I get an additional day of rest. However, my workout days vary and are NEVER on the same days of the week now. But, that works for me.

I used this type of rotation when I was competitive powerlifting and made my best strength gains as well.

When powerlifting, my rotation looked like this:

MON - chest, shoulders, arms
TUE - off
WED - legs, back
THU - off
FRI - chest, shoulders, arms
SAT - off
SUN - legs, back

etc...

That routine gave me 3 full days off between groups and one day off between workout days. I was able to work out with heavy loads for longer cycles this way.

Just my two cents...

Back