Tweaking my HST

soflsun

Alright, I need to make some changes to my routine.  12 exercises are too many to hit in one session, the workouts are just too long and strenuous.  I want to change to a 3x/week, 2x/day, but I need help setting it up.  Please remember although many of you advocate only the core exercses, I want to keep my iso's...I enjoy them and it keeps me motivated to workout because I enjoy my exercises.  Here are my questions:

1)  Full body 2x/day...cut volume for each session in half
     Push/Pull
     Upper/Lower
2) Order of exercises...Obviously my shoulder press is weaker after doing chest exercises, should I try to space these parts out as much as possible so the load will be maximized?  TUT would be te same, but the max load would increase with more rest in between and metabolic work would decrease I guess.  Even if doing 2 sets of the same exercise, is it better to space them out instead of doing them one after another so the weight can be heavier?

For example:  If I am doing 2 sets of flat bench, I could bang them out one after another, or do one set at first then do all other exercises and then do my second set at the end.

The exercises 12:

BB Incline bench
BB Flat bench (replaced dips today due to not having a weight belt and they hurt my shulders)
BB Bent-over rows
Chins
DB Shoulder press
Calf raises
BB curls
Skulls
Rear delt raises
Shrugs
Squats
Leg curls

I superset all of thes exercises with a push/pull or upper/lower in some cases.  Today I was able to finish all but the last 4 exercises which I can do this evening.  But, they could be split up differently...I'm just really confused as to what is best.

Ex. Should I train my chest in the morning and shoulders in the evening so they have time to rest, or should I train one chest in the morning and one in the evening...the possibilites are endless, but I want to make the best use of my time and energy so I can maximize my strength and recovery.

I don't believe there really is a universal answer to your question, but when I trained twice per day I got my best results by doing the entire routine both sessions.  I might do benches in the morning and inclines in the evening instead of the identical exercise, but I essentially trained the whole body each time.  So, if you want to do 2 sets per exercise, I'd try one in the AM and one in the PM.  Also, I tried to alternate a pushing exercise with a pulling one.  Good luck!

I used to do two full-body workouts per day, three times per week. I had a lot of luck with that set up. I'd do 6 or 7 exercises in each session.

You might try:
A/
Squats
Flat Bench
Row
Shoulder Press
Shrugs
Leg Curls

B/
Deadlifts
Dips or Incline Bench (or even Decline Bench)
Chins
Rear delt raises
Skulls/BB Curls
Calf Raises

(I threw in some deadlifts. Not much point in being in the gym if you don't do some deads...
smile.gif
)

Thanks guys...looks like good routines to try.  I think I will try for the whole body 2x/day like all of you are suggesting.

Back