Types of exercise on the 5's

stu1508

Hi all

I am sorry if this has been asked. I have searched the forums but have yet to find the answer to my question. Pls give me a link if there is an article about this. Anyway.... when you guys go on to the 2 weeks of the reps do you do compounds and iso's or just compounds?

I was just wondering if you could share your experiences with me and what you do? I was going to do both but not so sure now. My workout with iso's would be:

Squats
bb chest press
bb rows
SLDL
Military press

bb curls
skulls
calf raises

Would you keep this when going into the 5's or remove the iso movements. If the iso movements are taken out will the compund movements that I have selected give enough indirect work to bi's, tri's and calfs

You need chins and dips to get the biceps and tricep indirectly worked!
wink.gif
The rest is fine!

I have 2 slight problems at the moment. Firstly I didn't workout my weights etc for chins on 5 because on this first cycle I was having pain in my shoulder when I was doing chins, so I didn't do them.

Secondly the dips bar at my gym is an assisted one. There are a set of steps that lead up to them. It is very difficult to get the right position to target the chest when doing the dips. Any suggestions?

I had thought about doing my chest press with a narrower grip to try and target triceps more and to use and palms up grip on the rows to work the biceps more.

Stu, to do wide dips in a gym for chest, put two bars in the power cage on the safety bars and get between them.
I've stopped doing tons of iso's. Consider that with the 15 and 10 rep mesocycles, your arms would be getting a lot of work. In the fives, they work harder, but not so much, volume-wise, so I learned from the 5x5 programs that once a week is good.
Here again, anything can work for a while, then you change up when that stops working. Good idea using supinated grip to target biceps, but consider that work you've done when adding iso's - it's easy to overdo the small muscles.

I know this will get gasps of shock from some of you and tell me to quit my gym, but my gym doesn't have a power cage! I know its not the best but they have a smiths machine, which is how I do my squats. Not ideal but I make the most of whats available and won't use it as an excuse for not reaching the goals I set.

Anymore advice/views on if iso's are needed in the 5's cycle?

Quad do you have any other suggestions aboout how I could do my chest but with good indirect tricep work or should I put the iso arm stuff in on the 5's?

Back