U.S. To Ban Ephedra

Arbitro

U.S. To Ban Ephedra

WASHINGTON, Dec. 30, 2003

The General Accounting Office reported this summer that many of the complaints came from users under 30. Reported problems included heart attacks, strokes and seizures.

Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler, had taken a dietary supplement containing ephedra, is driven off the field in February. He died shortly thereafter. (Photo: AP)

(CBS/AP) The Bush administration has decided to ban the herbal weight-loss supplement ephedra from the marketplace because of concerns about its effects on health, government officials said Tuesday.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson and Food and Drug Administration chief Mark McClellan were to announce the ban at a midday news conference, the officials said, speaking only on condition of anonymity.

The ban is likely to be met with litigation from manufacturers who dispute the agency's assertion that ephedra, which was blamed in the death of a professional baseball player's death earlier this year, is a health risk.

Congressional investigators have found that many people who followed guidelines for using the herbal stimulant still reported health problems. The General Accounting Office reported this summer that many of the complaints came from users under 30. Reported problems included heart attacks, strokes and seizures.

There are reports of more than 100 deaths being linked to the herb.

The drug's maker, Metabolite, has said it "strongly believes in the science supporting the safety and efficacy of dietary supplements that contain ephedra when used as directed."

Ephedra was thrust into the spotlight in February following the death of Baltimore Orioles minor league pitcher Steve Bechler, who had taken a dietary supplement containing ephedra.

Ephedra is banned by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the National Football League and the International Olympic Committee but not major league baseball. In May, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich signed the nation's first statewide ban on ephedra.

Congress in 1994 severely limited federal oversight of dietary supplements.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/17/...ain563800.shtml

A sad day for many of us...
Does the ban affect ephedrine HCL?:confused: Ephedra and ephedrine HCL are not the same per se...

Offically banned!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3839574/

In the next 60 days, you will not be able to buy it (legally) in the United States.

sad.gif

I smell bullshit.

Think about this, they claim that Ephedra has "major" side effects on health and also cite one of the main reason is due to 155 deaths this year that have occurred because of it.

Let's think about this for a second, 155 deaths TOTAL in one year for all of United States... hrm, I don't have stats for say smoking or drinking, but in one year I bet either one of them cause more deaths (or deaths related to (ie. drunk driving)) then 155, yet both of this remain legal...

I put my money on the fact that ephedra can (and is) easily converted to the drug Methamphetamines (ie. Crystal Meth, crank, etc)... I bet that there real freakin reason, they just want to make it more difficult for the crank heads to cook up their junk.

Grrrr.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Dec. 30 2003,11:04)]A sad day for many of us...
Does the ban affect ephedrine HCL?:confused: Ephedra and ephedrine HCL are not the same per se...
I think that is still open to debate/clarification. Not sure at this point.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3839574/
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ernie Bechler testified in Congress, urging a ban. “That’s the last thing I said: 'Please don’t let my son die in vain.”’
I feel for them and sorry for their son, but he did not "die in vain"... he died because he took a risk and that risk came to collect it's dues. That's Life... that is all, freakin deal.
What about the guy that takes the risk of driving to work on a snowy day and ends up in a wreck? Should we ban cars so his death won't be in vain. This has no freakin logic to it.
Grrr.

Abuse (not responsible/recommended use) is evidently responsible for many of the ephreda-related deaths, but will be banned. Normal use of tobacco/cigarettes is responsible for the deaths & illnesses of millions, but they remain legal, despite multi-billion dollar judgements.

It's big business & lobbies, folks. The supp market players aren't in the same league.

I disagree with the ephedra ban. I feel it's safe and effective when used properly. However, I can see the FDA's point.

Being used properly is key here. Most people take supplements in ignorance. Worse yet, they take them in response to advertising on radio, on the internet, in magazines. . .

Ephedra is billed as "causing fat loss," and people who want more fat loss could take more ephedra -- a bad thing! If ephedra were billed as a stimulant that increases your heart rate, blood pressure, etc., which will result in more fat loss if you control your food intake, then people would better understand what's going on, and be far less likely to take risky doses. People with heart problems would know to steer clear.

That's why caffeine is not getting banned. Many people know that caffeine pills are used as diet aids. . . but they understand how caffeine works, so they're less likely to misuse it. They know caffeine from coffee, from no-doze and other "waking" aids, so it's hard for them to confuse it with a "fat-loss only" concept. Everyone knows it primarily as a stimulant. Ephedra and caffeine are both stimulants, but most people know ephedra primarily as a "fat burner."

And although I agree about the dangers of smoking, etc., it's not a fair comparison. These days, nobody takes up smoking as a health aid, and then decides to smoke extra packs per day for extra benefit. It's understood -- and marketed -- as an enjoyable recreation with known risks.

Honestly, if so many fly-by-night operations hadn't pushed ephedra so much with shoddy advertising/misinformation, the FDA would not have much cause to ban the supps, and probably fewer people would have died.

Doctors can still probably prescribe ephedrine HCL for clients who want/need an ergogenic aid, but insurance probably won't cover it, making the cost of getting it prohibitive. Also, many may shy away because of the risks of using it for what may be a contraindicated purpose. (They will still be able to prescribe it as a bronchodilator for asthmatic patients, etc.)

People are stupid, hence the result = banned ephedra

Ephedrine Hcl is still legal, unlike most other places in the world that banned ephedra...

if hci/hcl is still legal could you give me name of sites where I can purchase it?

thank you

ps: im afraid how fast phs will be banned as well...

Back