Understanding Compound Excercises

TheSeeker07

I would like my next HST cycle to have as much compound exercises as possible. I know that compound exercises are a good way to build mass onto one's body, but what I do not know is how it adds more mass than isolated exercises, what compound exercises there are to use, which compound exercises are best to use, and how to incorporate them into my workout. Help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Compound exercises allow you to use greater loads or more weight. Which Should equal more muscle in the long run. Compound exercises also have an overlaping effect which allow you to hit more than one muscle group at a time. For example bench press works pecs primary and front delts and triceps secondary.

This is a short list but is a good list of compounds.

Bench press, incline bench press , dumbell press, dips
Rows both barbell and dumbell, chins , pullups
Standing and seated shoulder presses with barbell or dumbell
Squats / deadlifts / leg press

those above exercises although short could last you a lifetime!

Right, I guess I know some of the base compound junk. Is there anymore you could talk about, btw, I won't be using dumbbells. I know there are compound workouts like the clean and jerks etc. I don't know what they build up and what not or how to include them in my next HST cycle.

Sure what else do you want to know?

Take a look at the thread called

Simplify and Win....read that and then get back to me!

Clean & jerks and snatches are technical, power movements which have to be performed quickly. (I believe that the snatch demonstrates the highest human power output in any sport.) O-lifts are fantastic as functional strength building exercises and work pretty much every muscle in your body to some degree. However, for pure muscle building they have the downside that fatigue compromises form so for higher-rep sets at the start of an HST cycle they are not ideal. One way round this is to start with sets of 5 and do (say) 5 x 5 during 15s; switch to triples during 10s and do 5 x 3; then during 5s, switch to doubles for 5 x 2; finally during post-5s warm up to 5 x heavy singles.

Spend 10 minutes doing deadlifts compared to 10 minutes doing leg-curls and you will know exactly why heavy compounds are able to stimulate more muscle growth than isos in the same amount of time. To try to work all the muscles that get worked when deadlifting (think posterior chain -- hams, glutes, spinal erectors, traps, posterior delts -- plus medial and anterior delts, upper-arms, forearms, abs) with isolation movements would take a lot longer than 10 minutes. If you find after focussing on compounds for a few years that you have a lagging body part or two, then it's time to throw in some isos to try to bring them up to requirements.

I't's not hard to see how you can build a great foundation through regular deadlifting, squatting, benching and pressing alone. With chins (and/or pull-ups) and dipping added in to the mix, you have enough variety for years of productive training (see Joe's list). For general functional/athletic strength I'd throw in C&Js and/or snatches too (C&Js are easier to learn than snatches).

Clean & jerks and snatches are technical, power movements which have to be performed quickly. (I believe that the snatch demonstrates the highest human power output in any sport.) O-lifts are fantastic as functional strength building exercises and work pretty much every muscle in your body to some degree. However, for pure muscle building they have the downside that fatigue compromises form so for higher-rep sets at the start of an HST cycle they are not ideal. One way round this is to start with sets of 5 and do (say) 5 x 5 during 15s; switch to triples during 10s and do 5 x 3; then during 5s, switch to doubles for 5 x 2; finally during post-5s warm up to 5 x heavy singles.
That could basically be the lay out for my next HST cycle?

Spend 10 minutes doing deadlifts compared to 10 minutes doing leg-curls and you will know exactly why heavy compounds are able to stimulate more muscle growth than isos in the same amount of time. To try to work all the muscles that get worked when deadlifting (think posterior chain -- hams, glutes, spinal erectors, traps, posterior delts -- plus medial and anterior delts, upper-arms, forearms, abs) with isolation movements would take a lot longer than 10 minutes. If you find after focussing on compounds for a few years that you have a lagging body part or two, then it's time to throw in some isos to try to bring them up to requirements.
I see, so basically you use less time and work a whole bunch of muscles compared to using more time and doing the muscles separately.

I't's not hard to see how you can build a great foundation through regular deadlifting, squatting, benching and pressing alone. With chins (and/or pull-ups) and dipping added in to the mix, you have enough variety for years of productive training (see Joe's list). For general functional/athletic strength I'd throw in C&Js and/or snatches too (C&Js are easier to learn than snatches).
I know how to do the C&Js and snatches :) My next questions would have to be along the lines of how to set up which days to do which exercises and also I know there are different variations of deadlifts, squats, benching, rows, pressing, etc. Which variations should I use?

Thanks for the explanations guys, and I appreciate the long explanation Lol!

Back