urgent advice

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_gazz
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_gazz

I'm rapidly approaching the last few workouts of the 15's phase of what will be my first HST cycle.

I'm training everyday, rotating two different full body workouts.

The problem, which is a very pleasant one to have, is that the weights still feel light, and I have a feeling that I will reach the final weights allocated to the final two workouts with ease (which is quite a surprise considering they were based on my previous best efforts at 15 reps, and considering that training everything everyday is contrary to all that I've previously read and done).

My question is should I extend th 15's phase for a further couple of workouts til I'm training to complete failure, or keep the extra weight in the bag til my second cycle. Grateful for any opinions.

All the best
Gazz

It doesn't matter either way, if you are getting a good burn effect with the weight then all is good.

In my opinion, the only rep ranges I would extend are the 5s or post-5s. If you are gaining strength this quickly, you should easily be able to increment a couple more times during the 5s.

DKM,Totentaz

Thanks for the replies. One other question: As I,ve said I've worked out full body (about 20 sets per workout) everyday without a day off. Should I rest a couple of days at the end of the 15's before starting the 10's. I feel ready for a coupl of days off but don't want to arrest the momentum.

All the best
Gazz

Don't worry you won't and a couple days off itsn't going to change the overall effect, think in the big picture
thumbs-up.gif

Gazz, you said you worked with 20 sets everyday on the 15's? Do you really mean to say that you are doing 140 sets per week or am I misunderstanding something here?

Old & Grey

Yes, I’m doing 20 sets per workout (140 sets per week). I know that you recommend 60 sets per week & as I’ve previously stated I’ll probably reduce the volume a little as the weights increase through the 10’s & 5’s.

As it is on 15’s I need minimum warmup especially in the earlier part of the phase, & can quite easily move from exercise to exercise, completing each workout within 45 mins. Also bear in mind that not all exercises are heavy compounds, I like to train with a mix, I am rotating two different full body workouts, and tend where possible to use antagonistic exercises : an example of upper back & chest portion of my workout would be:

T Bar Rows
Bench Press
Parallell grip pulldown
Dips
Wide Pulldown behind the neck
Incline Flies

I prefer to use 1 set of 2-3 different exercises rather than 2-3 sets of one exercise.

So far things seem to be going well. As I said I may need to adjust the volume a little as time goes on, but would like to see the effects of my first complete HST cycle using basically the above parameters.

If I am doing anything drastically wrong, I’d like to hear. The replies I’ve had to various recent posts from yourself , DKM, Totantez have been really helpful.

All the best

Gazz

Gazz

I certainly agree with multiple exercises over multiple sets but I think the total amount of sets you are doing, especially for the 15's, would be more catabolic than anabolic for the average person. However, if it works for you and you are satisfied with the results, I certainly can't argue very effectively to change things. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, I'll call that dog a duck anyday!
thumbs-up.gif

Back