Using machines to increase frequency

Heavy Duty dude

A lot of people would say that free weights are more effective for producing hypertrophy, but machines stress the joints much less. I have noticed personaly that I can train more often by using machines.

Also I remember about a study that showed that leg presses produces more hypertrophy than squats in the quadriceps.

So the question is: would using machines be more effective? Even if it means doing more exercises.

I have noticed also that machines that don't have the right and left separated lead to even less stress to the joints. After all what we want is just to lower a heavy weight, that's it, we don't need any stabilization work.

<div>
(Heavy Duty dude @ Sep. 19 2006,18:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So the question is: would using machines be more effective? Even if it means doing more exercises.</div>

Doing less exercises is one reason why I like free weights. For instance, using ATG squats and Stiff leg deads I don't feel the need to add separate exercises for hams and glutes.

Stressing the joints less is a good thing, though. I workout at home and don't have machines except a pulley and leg curl, so I can't test this. The counterpoint to the time from doing more exercises is probably that machines are much faster to set up and change weights with, something that adds some time to my workouts.

Whilst I don't dislike machines as they would serve their purpose for many different things....Max-Stim comes to mind
biggrin.gif

I still believe that using free weights wins as stability of the compound movements is induced by the stabiliser muscles having to work to keep things in perpsective...and then again we don't in normal life use many single muscle movements but rather compound, with stabiliser and synergistic components.

Just a ramble!
wink.gif

I actually find that leg presses put more noticeable strain on my knees than ATG squats. And Smith Machine presses feel worse for my shoulder joints than standing barbell presses. I hate the feeling on my knees of leg extensions too. I think a lot of it depends on what machines you have access too.

My previous gym had a seated row machine that was awful on the eccentric phase as there was soo much friction in the mechanism. The one in my new gym is really smooth and the difference between raising and lowering the weight stack is unnoticeable. So that's something else to watch with machines.

If you increase frequency then you need to reduce volume each w/o anyway so I don't really see a great gain in using a machine over a free-weight exercise unless it really solves a joint issue problem for you.

Machines typically put more stress on joints and connective tissue since you are locked into one specific motion pattern. Free weights allow one multiple motion patterns causing less stress on joints.

if you enjoy using a machine then go ahead
cool.gif

it is definetly better than doing nothing,i use certain machines lat-pulldowns,low-pulley-rows,some hammer strength stuff,shoulder-presses,etc,they have there place.
free weights are better but you will definatly make gains doing hst on machines, even if that is all you use
biggrin.gif

i would like to see some statistics to see how much better free weights are to using machines
rock.gif
if there are any
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Back