Value of Squatting

BoSox

Okay this isn't really important
blush.gif

But I was explaining to a leg presser today the importance of squatting. And I wasn't too successful. Hypertrophy-wise, is there any benefit to squatting that can't be achieved with the combination of leg-pressing, SLDL's and regular deads? I know squats are one of those exercises that everyone feels like they have to do, and I don't mind them, but I drew a blank. Help me out here (or just explain that there isn't much difference.

Personally, I prefer deadlifting, especially as a back builder, so if it would be possible to get the same results leg-wise from leg-pressing instead of squatting, I'd be willing to think about it for the sake of my lower back.

I don't think there is much to gain from squatting versus leg pressing if you're not an athlete or powerlifter. I've done it both ways before and being that I'm just a recreational lifter find that I much prefer leg pressing. The only time I do squats is when I don't have access to a leg press machine.

One thing to consider is the potential for lower back problems from heavy leg pressing. I tweaked my back pretty badly on a leg press machine. I think the leg press can put a lot of shearing stress on the lower back, especially the machines with a fairly upright seating position. I believe Blade posted something about this long ago, but I can't find it.

interesting. Although I can't say squatting is a walk in the park for the lower back either. Anyone else?

For those with bad backs, I have often seen leg presses be advised for a substitute. Seems to me that squatting would put more stress on the back, lower back in particular, due to the compression of the spine....

Back