Vanilla HST - Why Is Frequency Not Every 2nd Day

cxw

The vanilla HST is 3 times a week. Given that the literature talks about the anabolic state only being for 36 hours, shouldn't the vanilla HST be every 2nd day, i.e. 7 times per fortnight?

I understand that Bryan states that some simplification is worthwhile so people can implement the program. But I think most people could understand what every 2nd day is.

Is there any reason that 3 times a week is actually better than every 2nd day?

No, it was set up that way to avoid confusion, just as the rep scheme is a basic format. I do every other day, but when in the latter 5's, if you don't feel like hitting it any day, you can take two days off when you need it to recover the CNS.
Some of us have done rep schemes like 15, 12, 9, 5-6, and even 3, using 30 reps per exersize per workout.
Vanilla HST is probably best for beginners; intermediates and elites will know to monitor the body and find just what works best, but the vanilla is the working model, not to stray too far from. If you don't keep a log, you're not going to be able to guess what is working the best for you. Log is King.

I think its because a longer break (2 days instead of 1) is good to have after every third workout to ensure you recover and minimize the risk of hurting yourself, and making sure you get an extra day to store up energy every week.
It is also good that half of the time, these breaks are after the hard workouts (the last one of a repetition interval) when you probably need that extra recovery.

The primary reason is simplicity and that most people go to commercial gyms and want to keep their weekends free for family affairs. Since I have a home gym, I have no problem fitting every other day into my schedule. After all, while it would not make a difference in any given week or month, adding 20 or so workouts every year by working out every other day seems to make sense IF you believe, as I do, that rest between workouts is over rated as long as your SD schedule is adequate.
smile.gif

What others have said ... vanilla is a three time per week set-up. That does not mean that HST is limited to three times per week. Some guys do every other day. Some have done every 36 hours.

BTW, I have tried lifting every other day, and I found I liked three per week better. You come off the weekend feeling very recharged. If I had eaten more during my every other day cycle, I may have liked it better.

HST is only limited by its guidelines, the frequency even up to 6 x week and 2x day is up to you, although with such a frequency you may as well set up camp at the gym
laugh.gif

3 x week seems to be the best way to go as the extra two days rest on week ends acts a buffer for most as Eto puts it!
wink.gif

I am currently doing 2 x week and it feels fine while on 5's, however I should spread it out more evenly, currently doing tUesdays and Thurdays but will rather strat Mondays and thursdays, giving me 2 and 3 days rest respectively.

Back