Varying Exercises

Scuba19

I'm currently doing a HST routine, and was thinking about changing it to incorporate different exercises for each bodypart each workout. For example: for chest I would do Incline BP and Decline BP on Sunday, Bench Press and Flyes on Tuesday, and Chest Dips and Incline Flyes on Thursday. The reason for this is that I have very stubborn muscles in that if I target only a certain area, only that area will respond. Like when I bench, only the middle of my pecs respond while my upper and lower do not at all. Would this be a sensible change?

As long as you don't believe in the myth that you need to fool your muscles by changing up the exercises left and right, I see no reason to tell you not to do that. Every person has different genetics and their bodies respond differently to certain exercises. IMO, as long as you have bench press and dips, I think you are good to go.

Just so you are aware, when it comes to pecs, there is only an upper and lower. If the middle grows more, then you're pretty much stuck with that kind of pec shape. Check out the anatomy of the lower pec:

Pectoralis Major

Usually a combo of dips and bench works best, as Colby already mentioned.

Otherwise, using varied exercises is fine as long as you can still progress in them.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 05 2007,17:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just so you are aware, when it comes to pecs, there is only an upper and lower. If the middle grows more, then you're pretty much stuck with that kind of pec shape.</div>
I know there is only an upper and lower, but what i was saying is that only the middle get stimulated and grows.

Maybe I didn't explain this right.

You can't shift the focus away from the middle. The only thing you can do is shift focus away from or to the upper or lower pec. So all you can do is keep hitting them and hope that more than just the middle starts to grow. Usually as your pecs get larger, they will even out more.

Back