Varying reps and workouts throughout the week

BPM

So I am toying with the idea of varying reps and workouts during the week. Something like doing 1x5, 1x10, 1x15 Mon, Wed, Fri - basically 1 set of each rep range per day, also possibly changing the order each day (10,5,15 one day then 5,10,15 the next and so on). Then on Wed, have a completely different set of exercises working the same muscle groups (dumb bell press instead of barbell BP for example).

1. Do you think there would be any stimulus advantages to this?

2. Would there be any major disadvantages to this, other than it's more difficult to track/record progression and determine RMs?

3. Am I just making a slightly complicated routine (HST) just more complicated?

One major issue I can think of has to do with the fact that all rep cycles are being done simultaneously. It seems to me progression in each rep range may be hindered.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
!. Yes, because, in effect, you are increasing the frequency of
different reps.

2. The only disadvantage I see is having to change a lot of weights around during each workout making it longer to complete. It also replaces the possibility of doing three different exercises with being able to do only one per body part. I would not consider that necessarily a bad trade off however.

3. No, there is recent science to support using undulating reps frequently as being a it more effective.

Progression will not be hindered because the primary fiber stimulated will be different with each rep range.

I would do the 5's first to ensure that you get full muscle activation from the start.

One significant disadvantage will be the lack of/reduced neural coding that you'll experience from only doing each lift once per week. In layman's terms; your technique and strength will suffer/not be realised, in this regard.

!. Yes, because, in effect, you are increasing the frequency of
different reps.

2. The only disadvantage I see is having to change a lot of weights around during each workout making it longer to complete. It also replaces the possibility of doing three different exercises with being able to do only one per body part. I would not consider that necessarily a bad trade off however.

3. No, there is recent science to support using undulating reps frequently as being a it more effective.

Progression will not be hindered because the primary fiber stimulated will be different with each rep range.

I would do the 5's first to ensure that you get full muscle activation from the start.

Ok great thanks for your input. I figure I can change plates during rest in between sets so no big deal there. And I too was thinking it would be best to stick to 5, 10, 15.

One significant disadvantage will be the lack of/reduced neural coding that you'll experience from only doing each lift once per week. In layman's terms; your technique and strength will suffer/not be realised, in this regard.

Alright, thanks for the info. I now plan to stick to the same lifts for every session for this cycle.

Back